How Much Should A Psu Weight

Loll i have seen psu's almost bullet proof, and nothing inside, that shows you that weight has nothing to do with it.

If you want to get a psu. forget the names forget the weight, get the spec sheet, how many watts, how stable are the rails, amps are a primary thing you have to see, also is it protected, short circuit, over volt,over load are things you have to get.

A good psu will show you that cause they know that it's important, You can also follow the crowd but you never know what you're going to get.

I tend to suggest an antec true control 550W. not cause it's a antec, but cause it has what i want, and with a ps like that, you wont get fued by flashy things and whistles, you'll get a front pannel to tweak your voltages when you need more and things you need, not steel stiff acrylic covered cables loll.

Check it out for yourself ;)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/pro...8ce585fbb32186d

Edited by kobalt

Weight does matter.

About half the total weight of an Antec 480w TruePower is heatsink metal.

The large heatsinks mean that the unit runs at a more constant temp and that ensures that the PSU's power is more consistent and lower in noise as well.

I'd say that if the unit is rated at over 400w, it should weigh in at four pounds or more; 430w, 5#...480w, 5.5#.

Sort of a loose rule of thumb...but if you stick with a good brand, you'll usually be fine.

BTW, Atlas, Super Flower and Thermaltake are NOT good brands.

there is no magical weight that a psu should be, but look at it like this, if you have a $40 500W PSU and a $100 500W PSU, and the $40 model weighs in at 3lbs, but the $100 model weighs in at 6lbs, which one are you gonna buy? quality components weigh more, so until PSU manufacturers get smart and start adding "dead weight" to their PSU's, weight is a large factor to consider when comparing two power supplies for me

for example, i had an AOpen 250W PSU that was like 5 years old, it weighed a good 5lbs, got a Powmax 400W PSU with my case one time, and it lasted maybe 3 mos., then it just quit, and it weighed about 3lbs max, if that, and i was using the old 250W PSU to power my system until I got my new PSU in........

What i ment with my bullet proof theory is that manufacturer heard that peoples weigh their psu and bought the heavier thinking the heavier the better, so crappy manufacturer started to make psu's with thicker cases but with the same crap inside, fooling the less knowing buyers.Btw a capacitor for a psu does not weigh more in a crappy ps than it weigh in a good one wattage vs wattage,and the thickness of a few coils cant make the diffrence in weight. Unless they start to make copper hs in ps they're all aluminium so the weigh there is not an issue.

Better go with as someone stated a good brand (till they start to go bad cause they know peoples trust them) or start opening psu's and learn about them, which is the really hard way :lol:

I always bought top of the line cheapos,HEC which is made by antec and pro king which is made by another good manifacturer and they always kept my socket A rigs in good order but now that i have my 939 rig, i think i'm going to go with an antec true control 550W, after reserch and sniffin around for the best bang for buck i truly think it's one of the best ;)

REVIEW http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/truecontrol/p1.html

My last two bits on the subject :lol:

Edited by kobalt