Up The Voltage?

I have 2 Corsair Value Select 512 PC3200 in my IC7-G mobo.

I am rock solid stable at 228 fsb, with a P4 3.0E @ 3.42

DDR at 2.65V, .05 above default 2.60V

Problem is, at 231 I can start, but not stable and at 234 it is clear the CMOS time. I ran a 5:4 divider and got a 234 start no problem, 3.51 GHz. So I am thinking my value select ram is bogging me down.

It is CAS 2.5, and I tried setting it to 3.0-3-3-8, no divider, at stock speed...no start.

So, I can up the voltage more, but will that really help? I know where the edge of the envelop is right now, does pushing the voltage higher really push the envelop? And I thought 3.0 was slower and therefor easier than 2.5, what up with that?

Goal is 3.6 GHz at 240 FSB, a nice clean 20%. Can I get there.

CPU_Cooker

Thanks Target,

Ok, so I am a little paranoid about changing things a lot the first time.

So based on your answer, the higher Volts should enable higher FSB.

Now for the other part,

Memory runs fine at 2.5-3-3-8

I tried going to 3-3-3-8, and it would not POST.

Anyone have thoughts on this one....

CPU_Cooker

Try 2.5-4-4-8 instead of 2.5-3-3-8 and see if that stabilizes it if not then up the vdimm volts to 2.8v.

BTW if it post's at 2.5-3-3-8 then it should certainly post at 3-3-3-8

remeber corsair ram loves to be upped in volts the higher bus it is. look at the DDr4400 at new egg, it say 2.8v. a goood trick is to look at the higher ram like 3500, 4000 and 4400 and see the trimmings to copy them, 4400s are 3-4-4-8 with 2.8v., or course your can lower it once your know your cpu is stable.

BTW if it post's at 2.5-3-3-8 then it should certainly post at 3-3-3-8

432500[/snapback]

This is not so. I had a very similar problem with my RAM posting with a CAS of 3. It would post fine at 2.5 but no go at 3. I raised this question in part on the overclocking board, and it seems this is not an uncommon issue. Some RAM is finiky, just doesnt like a CAS of 3....

BH-5 (and probably all the other Winbond stuff, like CH-5/BH-6/whatever else) doesn't do CAS3 ... it just... doesn't :)

Possibly have CH-5 chips on that RAM or something? If it's winbond stuff it'll love the voltage.