What Should I Upgrade Next?

Mad Cow

Look at my signature for my current system specs. I am actually getting the raptor tomorrow :D , so I havent experienced the performance boost yet, but it should be noticable from my old ATA100 drive. That is my computer related christmas present, but I also am getting some $$$. Now I am divided on what to upgrade next, as it looks like it will be very expensive. :huh:

I want to go 64bit, but to do that I would also need a new mobo which has good overclocking abilities and onboard sound and ethernet. I also would like to upgrade my current mushkin 512MB DDR500. These sticks are actually a waste because I was never able to push my overclock past 200FSB. Anyway, I would like 1GB of ram. Finally, it may be coming time to replace my 9700 pro.

With all these things, I am truely unsure which component is my bottleneck. Which components would you upgrade first? I am limited to my first upgrade ~$270, and that's pushing it. I am also worried that what ever I upgrade will be useless next time I upgrade (ie. if I just upgrade memory (DDR), when I finally upgrade my mobo, I will need DDR2). What would you do? :bah:

I realize that, but looking at my current system specs what is my biggest bottleneck? If I have to wait longer for the extra money, so be it. What will give me the biggest performance boost?

either your processor or your video card. i'd suggest either a 3000+ or a 9800pro. if that 2500+ you have is unlocked, then go with the new video card. if not...go with a 3000+ and then overclock da fool out of it!

As for now, I have already overclocked my barton past the equivalent of a 3200+, and my 9700 pro is also overclocked (not sure how it compares to a 9800). I am thinking of an x800 if i went with the graphics or a 3200 Winchester if I went CPU/mobo.

if you want a better performing PC, the Video card HAS to be an option. that ram looks good to me and the 2500 oc'd is lovely and cool. get a 9800pro if you can. better still try and scrape some cash together and get maybe a 6600gt (i believe these are better than the 9800pros) and you'll have a good spec machine.

I think you should get a new video card the 9800 pro or the 6600gt there both around the same price 230~250. choice is yours what you what card you want I like that the 98 pro has a tv tunner in it. It will cost a lot of money if you got a new mb and cpu.

k, thanks guys. I was just feeling bad because my best friend is getting an 64bit system with a 6600GT and 1GB of DDR 400. I will probably wait for prices to go down on the x800pros or 6800GTs.

If it's at all possible to hang onto your cash for a little while longer (i know i can't, i spend spend spend!) i'd save up and get an X800XT if not XT-PE. I'm more of a video card buff... for me performance in games come first and foremost.

for 270...u can get a 3000+ winchester from zipzoomfly or newegg at ~150

and u prolly can find the msi neo2 for around 120-130

i think that would be ur best bet...then later upgrade ur gfx when the newer cores come out...or...u can sell ur parts and get cpu mobo and ram too