Pay To Play Games

d3bruts1d

Do you, or have you ever suscribed to a pay-to-play game?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Do you, or have you ever suscribed to a pay-to-play game?

• Yes. Currently.
    • Yes. In the past, and plan to again in the future.
    • Yes. In the past, and *do not* plan to again.
    • No. Have never, but plan to.
    • No. Have never, and *do not* plan to.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, I've paid-to-play in the past for DAOC...for a little over a year. I voted for "Yes. In the past, and *do not* plan to again." because I really don't feel like paying per month simply because then I feel I HAVE to play to get my money's worth. Unless there's really a game I want, I doubt I'd do it. I've already resisted many games I WOULD be playing if there was no monthly fee, such as CoH.

There are a couple reasons p2p can be a good thing though.. for one the server quality is pretty much always top notch, and second you dont have to deal with nearly as many immature kids and everyone is generally more polite in my experience.

There are a couple reasons p2p can be a good thing though.. for one the server quality is pretty much always top notch, and second you dont have to deal with nearly as many immature kids and everyone is generally more polite in my experience.

yes, this is definitely true. There was a definite noticeable level of immaturity in pvp matches during the Guild Wars World Preview Event by several people.

I must say this paying to play was the worst idea game makers ever had (worst for us, best for them) Evercrack started all this crap. I remeber a year or two ago when everquest came out the news team was interviewing this fat woman who said she spent everywaking moment of her life online because it was fun and she could pretend she was someone she wasnt. Well needless to say it took over her life, and after a while she started selling all this crap just to pay for more items and god knows what else.

Evercrack started all this crap.

*buzz*

Sorry, that is an incorrect answer. The correct answer should be, "Ultima Online started all this crap." Thank you for playing. ;)

Over the years, I've played (in order):

Ultima Online

Everquest

Asheron's Call

Anarchy Online (god that game sucked)

Dark Age of Camelot

Planetside

During the years, I amost always went back to UO. Despite the poor graphics, there was a lot about the game that was great. Mainly the other players. ;) Now, I'm waiting for WoW.

you guys saying that its stupid to pay per month are right in a sense. I think it sucks to pay monthly, though i do for a really great MMO, i def. will be for WoW...and i did pay for for years 9.95 a month to play AC.

The idea is is that everymonth the game is updated, tweaked, rebalanced, perfected even more, and the story line is continued with new quests, new items, new monsters.... it takes a full team to keep these updates while maintaing good servers and upkeep. Plus the servers cost money, its not like a home user can setup their own server like in warcraft, generals, CS:S, or anything of that nature. Your paying for a service, and I feel its worth paying IF the service equals the amount your spending or better. AC, even though it was being worked on by a skeleton team nearly, they were still working hard enough to make the game great......

till the end of my subscription when they just defaced the game with crap that made it more EQ than AC....

I haven't before, but plan to start with the release of World Of WarCraft next week. I used to think I never would but I released it's worth it for what you get. Giant ever changing world, lots of hours of play time, new content, support, etc. I doesn't seem like a lot when I know people who'll spend that amount on a day's lunch.

Skipping pages 2-4...

Well, though I dislike it, a friend of my brother's puts it this way: We're paying for the use of their servers.

Hard fact people: Developers get vastly underpaid by the publishers. Out of $50, the Dev company gets around $7. Plus, it costs ALOT of money to run massive servers like that(A full OC3 I would bet them to be on). Really, it sucks, but it's a must.