Amazing Find In My House!

Newport

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

newport, just a tip, a good way of cleaning records is to play them, BUT you don't want to use that ancient contraption - as it works, let it be, it's probably worth a LOT...

buy a turntable... doesn't have to be a Technics 1200, lol, just any old plain belt-drive turntable for like $15 or whatever, and hook it up to your sound-system (you might need a phono pre-amp, or just get a turntable with line outputs)

if you get a new turntable, you can also listen to the records through your modern sound-system and record them onto your computer into mp3 for your own enjoyment (after you sell them all for 1 MILLION dollars! :lol:)

gadda sport hardnrg on that one!!! just make sure that the stylus for the "new" turntable isnt all jacked up and cheap - if any of those records are porclean or ceramic - a modern needle with toast them completely!!!!!

"no contact" cleaning is the best way to clean records ---- run under water (dont get label wet) and use compressed air - you can even just forget the water as it may get the label wet and then its "junk" in the eyes of a collector - so just use compressed air

(playing does clean the records but older needles "dig" into the record when they run over dust- thats why you hear the crackle and pop--- so even when the record is "clean" you will still hear a little pop where the needle bounced over a bit of dust or lint sometimes)

JUST BE FRIGGIN CAREFULL MAN - im drooling over what you ahve on ur floor there

ok, this is what i use to clean my records (dust usually doesn't get time to gather on my records though)

Carbon Fibre Cleaner (basically a flip-out brush that you hold pretty much still while the record is turning, so the brushes clean in the grooves)

31.gif

not sure if they even exist in the USA, but i'm sure you can find one somewhere, just go ask the local b-boyz where to get one after they stop scratchin and breakdancin all around your .... :lol:

nice lookin cleaner there !!! - yeah they make those out here - and if ya get one like that DONT i cant stress this enough DONT GET A FOAM RUBBER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<--- exclamations (pay attention) LOL !!!!!!!!!!<-- some more

foam rubber collects dirt and dust and embeds itself in there thus opening a doorway for scratches -- "brush" type are the best as you can clean them better

NEVER USE A "RAG" or PAPER TOWEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<--- more of those things

:withstupid: (that applies to all that was said... excludeing selling them... seriously... why sell those jems?) I wish something like that would happen to me... :P and let me reinforce: AS TEMPTING AS IT MAY BE TO MOD THAT RECORD PLAYER DONT!!!! if you REALLY like how it looks MAKE A REPLICA... :D that's my bit.

(oh... and if you do make a replica mod IT... NOT THE ORIGINIAL... ;) )

Edited by Duff Man

lol, it's not too amazing for an old timer like you eh Phil? :lol:

i myself have two "record players" - i like to call them decks, and my "records", vinyl...

i'm a Dee Jayyyyyy you see! heh heh