Dual-layer Vs. Single-layer

ClayMeow

Okay, so I was wondering about the playability of dual-layer discs. For DVDRW drives, I've seen them specifically say if they're dual-layer, but I've never seen non-recording DVD drives say dual-layer. Can any dvd drive read both sides of a dual-layer disc, and it's just a matter of writing to the discs that cannot be done unless you have a drive with that capability? Basically, the main use of my dvd drive will be for games (since more and more are coming out on dvd's to save space). I don't really care about viewing dvd movies at all since I have a dvd+vcr player in my bedroom where my computer is located. Thanks for the help.

all dvd players can read dual layer unless you have the frist model of dvd drives back in like 1999, now for burning dvds you need a dual layer burnner but dont waste your money, good ones are $200 and each disc is $20+ so your better off just watching them for now

Just some clarification, You would need a dual layer burner to burn the dual layer discs which can also burn single layer discs, however if you have a single layer dvd burner you can burn only single layer discs.

And Single layer burners can burn a movie, but it will either use 2 discs for it maintaining all of the original movie, or it will rip out the extras, menu etc, or just squish everything down to fit.

Right now the media for dual layer is fairly expensive but it will come down pretty quick I assume just like single layer media did.

Right now the media for dual layer is fairly expensive but it will come down pretty quick I assume just like single layer media did.

I agree there! I remember when I first got a computer (A Dell Dimension 4100, P3 866MHz) back in 2000 the writers were over $1000 and the blanks were $20 or thereabouts. Blank CDRs were in the buck-a-piece range, now the single layer blanks DVDs are in that range and I paid just a little more for my LG 4120b earlier this summer

than what I paid for my 40x CD burner in the fall of 2002! Amazing how much prices drop for products all the time, but that market competition for ya.

I paid 145 for my LG DVD burner (CDN) at my local comp hardware store. Just watch which blanks you buy, I found out the hard way that not all blanks are created equal. I currently use ProDisc -8x blanks and have NO problems with any of my burns.

unlike cds dvds take more brains to make in the factory so the cheap brands are so cheap the dvd mostly dont work, stick with $1-5 dvds-a-peace

i cant want to get my blu-ray brunner, its coming out in 2006 for the public, and each disc holds 23-27gbs a disc!!!

unlike cds dvds take more brains to make in the factory so the cheap brands are so cheap the dvd mostly dont work, stick with $1-5 dvds-a-peace

i cant want to get my blu-ray brunner, its coming out in 2006 for the public, and each disc holds 23-27gbs a disc!!!

ooh that blu-ray burner sounds hot. never heard of it though O_o

so i was just reading up on blu-ray burners and found this ... http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=10005

another reason to get a ps3 :)