I'm Going Linux,

Kamikaze_Badger

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if you do a full customised level 3 installation of Gentoo, it could take you upto two days, depending on your hardware! If you're still a newbie to Linux, I'd not reccommend jumping feet first into Gentoo.

You'll prolly wanna go Fedora or Mandrake:

Mandrake is great to install and incredible to use.

Fedora is even easier to install, but not as great to use

IMO

acutally, the stage 3 install of Gentoo is the "easiest" one of them all, and is the least customizable. You're thinking of the stage 1 install, which is where u can customize everything under the sun (or case)

Mandrake it is then! I'll download it via BT after my older brother goes off to boot camp(free to download, YAY!), and then install it. Will it save all my files I had in Windows, or are those overwritten?

Btw, what do you think of this guide?

Check eBay first... if you're lucky, you'll find someone offering the powerpack CDs for $1 or something. Mandrake 10.1 is out soon, so maybe you could wait for that? The community version is out now, but that's basically an open beta!

i just switched from suse 9.1 to mandrake 10. suse is prettier, but mandrake seems more "powerful", for lack of a better term. suse was very nice and i may go back and try it some more. mandrake does not look as refined as suse, but it sure is more refined in how it operates. so far so good with both, suse and mandrake.

the mandrake setup will allow you to do a custom partition on your hard drive, thus allowing a dual boot system(that's what i have, xp pro-mandrake). when you boot your comp, you choose which os to go into. this leaves your win partiontion intact. if you want to dedicate the whole hard drive to linux, you will lose everything windows--linux doesn't use the ntfs or fat32 file system, so it must format the drive to use it(or the partition).

i use windows for gaming, linux for everything else. and when i get my 6800gt, i'll even try gaming in linux.(ati linux drivers suck--3D acceleration is a pain to set up, i still haven't managed it).

good luck, and enjoy it-- it's kinda cool living in a microsoft free zone.

i use windows for gaming, linux for everything else. and when i get my 6800gt, i'll even try gaming in linux.(ati linux drivers suck--3D acceleration is a pain to set up, i still haven't managed it).

lol... I had a similar problem... Was only resolved a few days ago. (See my post in the Linux OS Forum)

If you have an ATi graphics card and you're using mandrake (and some other distros) you'll need XFree86 4.3 and the ATi driver from ATi's website... Furthermore, once you've installed the ATi driver, and configured everything... You'll need to do a custom kernel build including the new ATi drivers. Once that's done, it should work, but it's an awful lot of work for a newbie, it's also why I only just got round to doing it!!!