I'm Going Linux,

Kamikaze_Badger

I never had any trouble installing Slackware. Don't get me wrong, it was one of the better Linux distro's I used... I was just comparing it with my personal favourite thing of all time :)

Takes too much time away from folding? You can download it while folding?! :P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You maybe right. You started using Mandrake when you were a beginner, I started using Mandrake after I was an intermediate user. I guess I was used to the compatibility and control that other Linux distros had. I guess I wasn't ready for such a user-friendly OS instead of a more Linux friendly OS :P

Fedora Core 2 comes preinstalled with:

OpenOffice.org Suite

XMMS

Non-proprietary Libraries

Loads of Documentation

System Admin tools

Excellent setup utilities

And a wide variety of applications.

Mandrake has proprietary libraries and requires the user to manually find and install all applications they may need. Oh, and it has Super Tux... If you are going to pay $10 for a Mandrake CD, you might as well just become a Mandrake user community member. That way, you can have access to all the Mandrake RPMs they offer and don't have to worry about how you plan to install an application that needs an older library than the proprietary Mandrake ones.....

I recommend you install both Mandrake and Fedora Core 2. You'll notice the difference that I am talking about.

You maybe right. You started using Mandrake when you were a beginner, I started using Mandrake after I was an intermediate user. I guess I was used to the compatibility and control that other Linux distros had. I guess I wasn't ready for such a user-friendly OS instead of a more Linux friendly OS :P

Fedora Core 2 comes preinstalled with:

OpenOffice.org Suite

XMMS

Non-proprietary Libraries

Loads of Documentation

System Admin tools

Excellent setup utilities

And a wide variety of applications.

Mandrake has proprietary libraries and requires the user to manually find and install all applications they may need. Oh, and it has Super Tux... If you are going to pay $10 for a Mandrake CD, you might as well just become a Mandrake user community member. That way, you can have access to all the Mandrake RPMs they offer and don't have to worry about how you plan to install an application that needs an older library than the proprietary Mandrake ones.....

I recommend you install both Mandrake and Fedora Core 2. You'll notice the difference that I am talking about.

ok, I'm downloading the fedora core 2 right now, the DVD iso. I'll give it a whirl... I'm building an amd64 system in the next few weeks.

hi im new to linux too and im thinking of installing one soon, i have the fedora core 1 installation disk but im wondering what's the difference from fedora core 2 and now i go to fedora site and there is fedora core 3 too??? :unsure: im really confuse w/c fedora core to use, is it worth getting the newer version or just stick to core 1?

Edited by phatsmack

It's always making sure your software is up to date, using the FC2 or 3 will ensure you have all the latest software. Also, AFAIK, the FC1 wasn't on the 2.6 kernel, so, I'd make sure you're using the 2 or 3.