Has Anyone Ever Hit A 4ghz From A 3.2 C?

Freeder

A friend wants to oc, and i'm asking for him. If not 4.0 ghz, how far can the 3.0 northwood be pushed?

How far can a 3.2 e Prescott be pushed? (also taking into consideration very good air cooling)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Freeder

hmmm i have seen someone reaching 3.75 Ghz on his 3.0C using a SP-94...he was also the same person to reach 4Ghz on the same 3.OC but he was using a phase change cooling..hahahaha

a prescott has its limit when it comes to air cooling man...that what most of the people here say anyway...it's a hot chip so they sure to suggest watercooling :P

There are certain 3.0c chips that overclock very very well. Nuclear was able to hit 4.0 ghz on AIR cooling with it. I forget the exact stepping but he or someone else might be able to tell you. I, along with everyone else, would recommend against going with a Prescott. They run very hot and aren't where intel would like them to be.

I was able to hit 4GHz on air using a SL6WK 3.0c with a SP-94 / 92MM Tornado / and Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard. It took less than 1.65v to get it there, and was rock stable. I sold the chip and motherboard to another member, and he backed up and verified my results...

I was able to get a SL6WU up to 3.8GHz on air, and then 4.4GHz with a modded MachII PS unit. The SL6WU units don't OC quite as high, but they respond better to PS and sub-zero temps.

If you are in the market for a 4GHz chip, I would look for a 3.0c SL6WK with a pack date around or after March, 2004. These chip are guaranteed AEP stepping chips, which OC very well. Stay away from the pressie unless you plan on running it with a PS system. I would also stay away from the 775 chips right now.

Nuclear, I'm in awe of your oc'ing prowess :blink:

Right now I, myself, have that 3.0 c SL6WK chip and is doing 3.795 @ 1.700 vcore (with lapped xp-90 doing 51 c/case 33 c, but that sucker undervolts to 1.63-1.65 underfull load) and is rock stable. The allure of 4 ghz is sooooooooo strong, I just wish I can hit that, but I guess I'll stick with this rig until something nice comes along in a year or so.

As for my friend, he thinks that 3.2 c edge would propel him to the 4 ghz after he saw my ~800mhz oc. Does he have a chance?

As for my friend, he thinks that 3.2 c edge would propel him to the 4 ghz after he saw my ~800mhz oc. Does he have a chance?

Probaly not on air with a 3.2c. The 3.2 and 3.4 do not OC as well as the 2.4, 2.8, and 3.0c. If you are looking for a good OC'ing chip, I would stay away from them.

some dudes just recently hit 6 ghz on 3.2 so i guess its possible ;x

Nope. Macci and Team Akiba hit 6GHz with a LGA775 3.6 chip. A 3.2e wouldn't ge that high, even on LN2.