Sli Mobo Tech

2 questions i guess

Which mobo has SLI

and 2, didnt 3DFX create SLI, or at least tried to have it work before Nvidia bought them out

*oh how I miss 3dfx*

ATI did too... but they called it AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering). they both worked on the same concept, card or chip 1 renders frame 1, card or chip 2 renders frame 2... and back and forth they go.

SLI destroyed 3dfx, and ATI dumped it after a single card (rage fury MAXX)... I don't see nvidia's attempt lasting too long.

SLI destroyed 3dfx, and ATI dumped it after a single card (rage fury MAXX)...  I don't see nvidia's attempt lasting too long.

i have one of those cards :lol: it was in an old workstation compaq i tore apart i actually used it for a lil bit but then got a gf mx4000

I personnaly dont see how it can improve performance that much....i mean in the end, everything is going to the monitor by one connection, with the video cards being bridged in a way. Now if both cards spit out the data with their own output devices instead of just the one, and the monitor puting the one cards data on one side of the screen and the other card on the other side, that i can see as an improvement, but then i guess you would need a special monitor for that....either way....i can see that being a nice performance boost. but thats what i think, i dont know how the tech actually works.

ATI gave up on it after realizing that it was more cost effective to produce just ONE faster chip than relying on 2 slower chips... 3dfx didn't learn this in time to spare them from the reaper.

also total performance gain from a single chip to sli on the same chip was something like 10% at BEST. it again came down to the same concept as SMP... software has to be written to understand it.

I have a 6800 ultra pci-e already... only thing I notice about it is the fact that the video card alone can raise room temp 5F! so let me see cram 2 of them in there, trapping more heat while they produce more heat... throw in that 3.6ghz P4E and we can cook a friggin TURKEY in the computer :(

sorry that's just my view of the whole SLI vid card deal.

I have a 6800 ultra pci-e already... only thing I notice about it is the fact that the video card alone can raise room temp 5F! so let me see cram 2 of them in there, trapping more heat while they produce more heat... throw in that 3.6ghz P4E and we can cook a friggin TURKEY in the computer :(

sorry that's just my view of the whole SLI vid card deal.

does it REALY cause that much MORE heat.. i know your exagurating, but will it realy rais temps in the case.. i herd it was a very hot card