Raptors

computerfreakxv

I am getting ready to purchase a Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM w/8MB Buffer Hard Drive. I was just wondering about what kind of performance gain I would see over my other two 7,200RPM western Digital Hard Drives, (see sig)? The new Raptor HD that I am getting will be my gaming HD.

i was going to ask a similar question, so i guess i'll pose it here. I heard that the rpm's really just affect load times...so the difference between 10k and 7200k is that games will start up faster on the 10k. Is there any other benefits?

You said "itll read faster makin your data easier to find/locate." Will this mean in a folder set to view as "thumbnails", it'll load quicker? And what about photoshop? will that run quicker? I know photoshop is memory hungry, so i dunno how much harddrive speed means for that. I'm just trying to figure out if i should get 1 36.7 Raptor, 2 36.7 Raptors to RAID, or just go for like a 120-200GB 8MB 7200rpm harddrive so i have more storage.

(this'll be running on a a64 system with a geforce6800gt...and probably 400mhz ddr)

Oh yeah, the other issue is, I heard raptors were awfully loud. I want to make a relatively silent computer (which is why i'm going the WC route). So if it's going to be too loud, i wouldn't want it.

Yes It will make it more easyier on your ram becasue once in gaming and stuff your ram is full then it uses virtual ram which then it pays off to have 10 K drives , But well worth the money to get them

also thier not loud

The only time I've noticed any noise w/ my raptors is when I'm defragging.

cool. i could care less about noise while defragging :)

I guess i should go for two 36's then and stripe them, right? Will that improve gaming performance at all?

ive never noticed any noise from mine. even my "media" machine in my living room is very quiet. great all around drives, the 36 is a little on the small side though. i would get a 74 or a couple 36 to run raid.

i got my raptors in, they are the 36gigs... after a 12 hour water test I will boot it and post the hard disk bench marks.

Claymeow: I heard the same thing, after googling it for a few minutes I found that I should look for a 10% read/write gain, Ram will be boosted only when I load up larg picture files or large publisher documents.

10% is a heavy cost taking that these drives are so small, 80gig for a raid0 set... my raid0 set now is 340! but I lose sleep over how to keep that data safe.

i got my raptors in, they are the 36gigs... after a 12 hour water test I will boot it and post the hard disk bench marks.

Claymeow: I heard the same thing, after googling it for a few minutes I found that I should look for a 10% read/write gain, Ram will be boosted only when I load up larg picture files or large publisher documents.

10% is a heavy cost taking that these drives are so small, 80gig for a raid0 set... my raid0 set now is 340! but I lose sleep over how to keep that data safe.

cool. thanks for the info. definitely let us know how it goes when you get it up and running :)

ive never noticed any noise from mine. even my "media" machine in my living room is very quiet. great all around drives, the 36 is a little on the small side though. i would get a 74 or a couple 36 to run raid.

yeah, i'd most likely get two 36.7'sand stripe them, so essentially ~73gb, plus since they're SATA, i'll be able to keep my current ATA drives for storage :)

It will load things much faster work better. But i would get a hard drive cooler my hard drive. I have a 160 gb hard 7200 RPM and i don t use the cooler it gets up to 120 F but with it on 83F or 28C if the hard drive is cooler it preformaces better. The only bad thing about ratpors is it small is hold like 34 gb of information and there very small hard drives with your drive. But it work great!!