• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, so do I

board: $1200

cpu: $1000 EACH for the 848's

PSU: $150+

ram: $809 per 2gb stick min 8 sticks needed.

I bought one of these for some 3.2ghz xeons and saved over $2000

P4QH8_spec.jpg

Guest Ballz2TheWallz
yeah, so do I

board: $1200

cpu: $1000 EACH for the 848's

PSU: $150+

ram: $809 per 2gb stick min 8 sticks needed.

I bought one of these for some 3.2ghz xeons and saved over $2000

P4QH8_spec.jpg

stop making me jelous

yeah yeah yeah. intel's got some problems that they MUST work out on the desktop and server line of chips. but it CAN be done.

#1: 64 bit. Amd's 64 bit chips are holding thier own while being crippled to 32bit in most people's hands. FEB 1, 2005 is the day when MS can offically sell the 64 bit OS, and the apps will be right there with it. Intel is RUSHING to come up with a solution that requires they license AMD's technolgy for (intel will have to PAY amd for every chip they sell as opposed to the old ways of MMX and SSE).

#2: 9xx chipset. lack of agp, intel's eagerness to get away from ATX / DDR ect does NOT make this an easy upgrade path... it's called total replacement if intel has it's way. this is SCARING people away that want to buy NOW and have the ability to gradually upgrade as time goes on. Would you buy a new socket 478 board now? I sure as heck won't, and most of my informed customers won't either.

#3: cost. the sales here speak for themselves. 1 intel chip for every 14 amd chips that go out. 1 intel system for every 3 amd systems. Intel NEEDS to work on pricing. and it's not to say that they're a bad product for the money. it's that people are for the most part buying based on price. If they can get a system that runs 90% or better in performance for 40% less... well you do the math on that one. Even athlon 64 chips are going out at a HIGH rate next to the P4's... same holds true of systems.

#4: if you want to say Itanium is a competitor to the opteron, DREAM ON. in 3 months amd sold 3 times as many opteron chips as intel did itanium chips in 3 YEARS. proportionally amd has sold 12 times as many 64 bit server / high end workstation chips as intel did within the same time span. The xeon can hold it's own with the opteron in SOME things (in a 2 cpu setup... I dunno about 4+) , but again it comes down to the opteron being crippled by software right now... but then again so is the itanium... 1 distro of linux I know, an incomplete version of windows that will never be finished, and 2 versions of unix... with a handful of apps that are no longer being supported by companies like Oracle giving up on it too. heck the FDA wont' even let hospitals use itanium servers due to the software problems associated with them. they HAVE approved opterons with Suse to take the place of the itanium servers vendors wanted to push.

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

man all this expensive tech, im gonna buy like 20lottery tickets tonight now,the loto is $220,000,000usd!!!

Despite everything people have said, your average joe doesnt really care about all these figures..... when the sales assistant starts saying stuff like with an intel P4 3.2GHz procesor, most people just turn off. People generally just buy what they can afford and often buy packages from companies like Dell (and consequently get ripped off).

What people don't seem to realise here is that most people dont give a dang whether, its Pentium or amd in their pc. In my oppinion i think both have pro's and con's. What i really don't understand is why there must always be a winner, why should one have to be better....

Anyway just thought i'd air my feelings.... if anyone takes offence to anything i said, im sorry (not that i really care of course :) ) but english/american is NOT my first language...

Evil out