.ca Vs .com Vs .net

FastSS

For you webmasters out there, do you think the extention has anything to do with trafic?

biggest one I am worried about is the .ca

if you type "google" into the IE address text box, and then press Ctrl+Enter, it fills in the http://www. and .com

of course this goes for any .com address as long as it has a www. as well... and most people guess .com before anything else... so i'd go with .com...

I mean for sites overall trafic.

direct url is about 1/1000 th overall trafic. if that, and half them are bookmarkers.

I mean overall, jsut like adding - in the domain.

hurts the guy that puts the url in, but not the trade and SE trafic.

I have serveal sites, most all .com

but the site I want in .com is taken, and the variants of it that I would want are taken. and he wont sell for a reasonable amount of money.

So I was thinking a .ca domain. or a .net

but would people see thats its .ca and think less of hte site or something, cause I know lots of americans are ignorant and think .com is better, but for no reason then it has become the "standard"

I dont know where I was going with this post, it doesnt make much sence to me, maybe I am rushing cause I gotta run.

I would go with the .net. I think the only real problem is that most people assume your website will be .com or .net so if its .ca they will try to go to .com and get a different site or a 404 error. I would say stick with .com or .net if you can. Only use something else if you need to.

Or you could use .org.

Edited by andrusk

you can always get more then one domain and have them both go to the same site. i think its called having parked domains, but i might be thinking something else.

e.g. buy www.yoursite.com and www.yoursite.net have have them both go to your site.

Its hard to ask my question as I dont want to post any of my domains.

I'm not too worried about people trying to jsut add .com to the end of the word that is what they are looking for.

95% of the traffic is from se or trades.

the other 5% is trades or other webmasters.

So in that case does the z for an s, or dash, or .net or .ca or .com really matter? do these people look and try and remember? I mean some great sites are doamins that I have to go to another site and find a link cause I know what it is but no idea how to spell it.

Or maybe I am overthinking and asking a retarded question?

I had that problem with my site because the domain I wanted "stormtech" was owned my some sewer drain company lol..so I just added a "z" in the middle to make it "stormztech" it was just a small change in plans and design to get a .com domain.