Athlonxp Ocers

Is anyone who is overclocking an Athlon XP using a CPU shim? I am using one, and I'm wondering if it is effecting my temps at all. It doesn't seem to be. If you are using one, have you noticed slightly higher temps as compared to not using one?

Guest FxXP

The only thing that shims do is take pressure of the CPU core. Shims were well commonly used back in the T-Bird days because the core was .18u and the heatsinks back then used clips that had extreme forces. Now-a-days with improved heatsink technology and the smaller .13u of the T-Bred/Barton cores, shims are not needed. They will actually take performance away from the heatsink instead.

Thing is if you dont put a shim tween the cpu and HS there's a small gap cause the core is elevated and you have at least little air circulation there with the shim you fill that gap and we all know copper is great to suck up heat so in a way it only spreads the heat over the entire chip instead of directly in the HS, which is what it's supposed to happend <_<

I dont think it does any good

Edited by kobalt

I'm not using a copper shim. I'm using a Tweakmonster anodized shim. And the reason I'm using one is because I don't have the money to purchase a new proc. I have experience in mounting heatsinks, a lot of experience with athlons. The shim is a "just in case I actually screw up" thing. Thanks for all the replies though. I appreciate the info.