What Would Last Longer?

Ok if I were to get a laptop, this is still just a thought, what would last me longer for gaming before I needed to update? A 3.4ghz P4 or a Athlon 64 (1.8 or 2ghz I think)

Well I am not sure that the CPU would matter as much as the video chipset if you are going to use it for gaming. Generally Laptops have a shorter life cycle than desktops. If it were me I would try to get something with that new ATI 9700 mobility chip, that should be able to handle most of the games for awhile anyway. Also just another thought.....I believe there are a couple of new laptops out that have upgradable video, Alienware has one and I think Dell has a new laptop with that feature.

Very true... but hopefully this summer I will have a job, maybe even two. Plus if you go the right places you can get good laptops for $2000. If I had to summer jobs I could get that much over summer.

Get something with an A64, because the release of XP 64 bit doesn't seem that far off, and you will be better off with something that can handle future apps. But like Neo said, it's the video that's going to make or break the system. Something with a A64 and A Mobility 9700 would just kick though. *drool*

Well if you are on a budget they make cheaper laptops, but they would suck for gaming. I really think that good laptops are overpriced, but you get what you pay for. Toshiba is a good line for durability and warranty support but it'll cost ya. E-machine laptops are dirt cheap, but leave alot to be desired. Good Luck with the summer jobs! :D

uh, athlon 64 1.8ghz? there's a 2ghz and 2.2ghz but not 1.8ghz unless you are talking about an opteron.

however I'd say get the athlon 64, seeing as how the future is 64bit. intel knows this too but is using the P4 to stay competative NOW... not down the road.

Yah at the time I couldn't remember if it was 1.8 or 2 ghz. Well if I were to get a laptop I wouldn't go halfway, I would get the full deal because it would mainly be for college. I would want something that woul last me for gaming through college. By the time I have the funds to buy one, I'm sure they will have mobile AMD FX and mobile 9800's.