Ryzen Plans?

Anyone else going to get the 4th gen Ryzen? I have a feeling the preformance increase for games is only going to be at 1080 where the CPU struggles to keep up with high end graphics cards.

Besides that a 15-20% IPC increase across the board isnt bad. Though what it will come down to for me at least is if the overclock is higher than 4.3Ghz (all-core) and if the new FCLK of 4000 will have more impact then say 3800 which is the limit for gen 3.

I doubt I'll be getting a RX 6000 review sample. No AIB cards this time it looks like and AMD doesn't send anything to OCC usually. I'm just buying  a CPU to replace my personal 1920X threadripper system. Maybe swap it out with the 3800X for benchmarks if the gains are as good as AMD claims it to be.

So far most single-core benchmarks look like 5900X is +20% vs 3800X,.. with 7% higher turbo boost frequency. Today was the release date for the 5900X and it's sold out every place I checked,.. can't even buy one direct from AMD. 

That's OK,.. I'm doing a Maximus XII Extreme build right now,.. full custom water with 420mm front, 360mm top,.. going to take a few days.

Micro Center has open box XII Extreme boards on sale for $675.00  https://www.microcenter.com/product/624150/asus-z490-rog-maximus-xii-extreme-(wifi-6)-intel-lga-1200-eatx-motherboard?ob=1

Edited by Braegnok

I will be sticking with my 5GHz i9 9900K.

For me, I don't see much value in buying a new AM4 motherboard and a 5900x for an unnoticeable gain at 1440P and a few more cores that games don't seem to be using effectively yet.

relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png

For those on compatible AM4 motherboards its a very tempting choice though, as it seems to offer much better performance than the Ryzen 3000 series.

I will look ahead to AM5 and LGA1700 in late 2021 but probably 2022, which should adopt DDR5 RAM.

4 hours ago, Nyt said:

I will be sticking with my 5GHz i9 9900K.

You should be good to go for a long time after 2022 with your hardware Nyt.

Have you received your new RTX 3080 card yet?

Looks like your ready for CyberPunk. And I'm dead in the water setting on the bench. 

15 hours ago, Braegnok said:

You should be good to go for a long time after 2022 with your hardware Nyt.

Have you received your new RTX 3080 card yet?

Looks like your ready for CyberPunk. And I'm dead in the water setting on the bench. 

I have received it. Really fast, big improvement over my 1080Ti.
And it is stable at +75Mhz core and +1000MHz memory (MSI RTX3080 Gaming X Trio if anyone else was wondering).

13 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Ordered the 5800X from B&H. I'll see what 4.6Ghz does with FCLK of 2000. 

Probably will match the 10900K for 1080 gaming.

IgorsLab does a nice review of Ryzen 9 5900X with FCLK of 2000 MHz so that Intel Core i9-10900K could also be tested with DDR 4000,.. the Ryzen 5 5600X only managed FLCK from 1933 to 1967 MHz stable. https://www.igorslab.de/en/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-und-ryzen-5600x-im-ersten-test-wird-intels-10-generation-jetzt-obsolet-2/

Igor is pretty knowable on this stuff. That is disappointing because I figured all of the CPU would hit this. But this also means that they can all reach 1900 which was a big struggle before. I am curious to see the difference between 3800 CL14 and 4000 CL15. Probably none-existent  in real-world apps.

Interesting to see people wanting to see how the new stuff operates.

I was, also, a time or three before.

But my Asus 980 Strix and 4790 in Z97 Pro gamer is giving me 144 fps in Elite Dangerous and BL3.

Should see me out.

5 hours ago, Cespenar said:

Interesting to see people wanting to see how the new stuff operates.

I was, also, a time or three before.

But my Asus 980 Strix and 4790 in Z97 Pro gamer is giving me 144 fps in Elite Dangerous and BL3.

Should see me out.

Thats what makes it fun! 

If a could overclock a $100 i3 chip to the extreme on LN2 I would. But its money I do not have to spend.