Best Cooling Option for Overclocking?

Rancho

Hello everyone,,

I have a i7-6700k that I am going to try overclocking at some point. I have read plenty of stuff saying I should go with at least an AiO water cooler if I plan to over clock, but I'd rather not water cool if its not necessary.

What would be the best air cooling option if I plan to overclock my cpu? What would be the best water cooling option as well and why should I go with water cooling over air cooling?

Right now I have the cooler master hyper 212 evo

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Arguably the beefiest air cooler is Noctua nh-d15. I'm not saying it isn't overkill, but you asked the best air cooler. For AIO coolers. They are kinda all the same (cooling) performance in my opinion, pick a size and brand you like if that is all you care about. If you want nice RGB fans or good software, I think Corsair is a nice choice.

Watercooling requires maintenance every now and then.

As @ir_cow suggested, Noctua NH-D series are the best coolers on the market.

I also suggest getting high flow PWM fan/s for maximum performance. Use the BIOS fan profile to make it loud only when needed.

Edited by Regenerati0n

10 hours ago, Regenerati0n said:

Watercooling requires maintenance every now and then.

As @ir_cow suggested, Noctua NH-D series are the best coolers on the market.

I also suggest getting high flow PWM fan/s for maximum performance. Use the BIOS fan profile to make it loud only when needed.

Custom watercooling does require maintenance, but the All-In-One (AIO) watercoolers like the ones from Corsair don't require any maintenance above what you need for an air cooler (eg. blowing out dust). Only downside is that pump life is hit or miss. Some last a few months, whilst some last years. 

I'm a big fan of AIOs, particularly Corsair AIOs, particularly because they're much smaller than large CPU coolers and it makes it much easier getting to the ram or accessing headers.

But if you want air cooling, I'd also recommend the NH-D15 mentioned above. Particularly the Chromax black edition which looks gorgeous.

• 1 month later...