Vega 56 !!! Upgrade or wait

So I have a vega 56 pulse I picked up used for $150 after selling my 2070 super , I wasn't impressed with it  

I can afford to upgrade to a 2080ti but should I?

New tech is right around the corner 

3700x @ 4.475ghz

I game at 1440p lg 32gk650f-b

Personally, I would definitely wait, but it definitely comes down to what you are looking for in an upgrade. From AMD we can expect RDNA 2 later this year and then see whether it is the upgrade you want. I don't recall the latest news/rumor for NVIDIA's next generation but if ray-tracing support is important to you, I would wait for that as it should have second-generation RT cores. Of course the RTX 2080 Ti will continue to be very powerful for everything else, but I would not be surprised if its first-gen RT cores come to lag behind as the ecosystem develops more.

Of course, I've been continuing to use my RX 580 in my desktop and I'm happy with it and plan to wait and see what comes too, so yours is a similar question I've already answered for myself. The reasoning above is just what I'm going with. (Except I also have a greater preference for AMD as I like some of its features such as Chill and while some don't like Wattman, I've not had any issues wit it and like having a built-in tool for OC/UV.)

I would wait until Q3 when both AMD and NVIDIA drop new cards. Its just a guess but because of COVID-19, I think the original June / July release has been delayed. These were never official dates, but since the new Xbox and PS5 is getting AMDs RDNA-2 GPUs, I suspect the desktop variant will show up around the same time. NVIDIA isn't a company to lose ground. I'm sure they have Ampere ready and just waiting for AMD to drop it's cards.

These are just theories. Only reason to upgrade to a RTX 2080 Ti right now is if you absolutely need Ray-Tracing in the handful of games that support it now, or play at 4K resolution. If you wait until the end of the year I'm sure new things will appear. However I don't think NVIDIA Ampere is going to come out below $1500 for the flagship.  You can get a really nice RTX 2080 Ti  that can be flashed to the high end vBIOS for $1050 new or $850 (ebay) used.

I'm on a 1440p 21:9 at 120hz. I ran my 2070super on it, and I liked it. The interpolated charts put the newest shadow of toomb raider squarely at 60-70 fps on my monitor on ultra settings, dx12, ray-tracing on and g-sync as well. The question is, how long do you keep your cards, and what performance will games be asking for in the future? And what were you not seeing on the 2070 super?

Aparently the present RTX isn't a perfected system, although it works. It could be much better, however, and that's the refinement they bring in 3000 cards. They will have a large addition of cores the RTX system uses (Tensor cores? right?) and a newer better processor, so we will see that.

The 2080ti would be beyond your capable use on a 1440p 140hz. It is to drive 144hz 4k blazing fast. So the best card in your scenario, may be that 2080ti and it may last you much longer. as the new cards come out. But, if you wait till they do, you can pick up 2080ti gear for way less as early adopters dump their stuff, also, the neweggs out there will have to clear the stock so, wait, and pick up on cheap, or get a 3070 then which will be equal to a 2080 most likely.

Its tough to wait when money burns a hole in the pocket. I might suggest buying into an index fund at this point, since the market has been thrashed. The recovery will be really nice.

Edited by robAP

From my understanding is all RTX (Turing Based) GPUs will support DX12 Ultimate API. Also DLSS 2.0 has been released. It no longer requires every game to be individually cataloged to work with DLSS. This means a whole lot more games will be supporting this feature. DLSS is just a AI upscaler, but 2.0 does a much better job at this. It was hard to tell before without looking for the sign of DLSS in use, now its practically the same from the demo stuff I've seen.

The RTX 2080 SUPER can barely hold 60 FPS max settings in most games, if you are looking for a 144 experience, I don't think any single card can provide this @ 4k yet. 

Just like every generation of Nvidia cards, the mid-range matches the high end of the previous generation. Whatever the 3080 will be named will come close to a RTX 2080 Ti. Probably for $1000 as the 3080 Ti will be at least $1500. Once again just a lot of guesses, but you can look up game benchmarks and see this trend for the last 5 generations of cards.

DLSS (1.0) never impressed me as I was often able to spot the impact of the lower internal resolution but I haven't looked into DLSS 2.0 much yet. It's in the Minecraft RTX Beta and I was looking at that today some, and while I couldn't tell you I saw any issue with DLSS 2.0 there, this is also Minecraft we're talking about. It definitely helped with the RTX 2060's ray tracing performance though. (I was also using my television as this was on the test system, and that's not necessarily the best display for analyzing graphics quality.)

DX12 Ultimate seems to just be a branding name for various previously announced features of DX12, but yes, RTX Turing should support all of them, and possibly GTX Turing supports several too, but obviously without RT Cores for DXR. Not sure if there are other things that would require RTX Turing.

I think Mechwarriors 5, Minecraft and Control are the only 3 that support DLSS 2.0 right now. Personally i could only see the up-scaling in the shadows of objects. It looks more dotted. Control looks about the same with it on and off now. I don't know about the other two.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Deliver Us the Moon are the two other DLSS 2.0 supporting games currently. Haven't looked at MW5's implementation yet, and that's the only game I have with it, but should be able to soon. It would be nice to be impressed by it as I just so vividly remember the polygon popping of DLSS in Metro Exodus. This new version sounds almost like a smarter SMAA T2x, with how it tries to reconstruct the original geometry/detail and uses temporal super-samples to aid it. Will also be interesting to see if AMD develops its own solution (not counting CAS but something that also leverages machine learning) or if a different, hardware agnostic solution is developed by others.

6 hours ago, robAP said:

I'm on a 1440p 21:9 at 120hz. I ran my 2070super on it, and I liked it. The interpolated charts put the newest shadow of toomb raider squarely at 60-70 fps on my monitor on ultra settings, dx12, ray-tracing on and g-sync as well. The question is, how long do you keep your cards, and what performance will games be asking for in the future? And what were you not seeing on the 2070 super?

Aparently the present RTX isn't a perfected system, although it works. It could be much better, however, and that's the refinement they bring in 3000 cards. They will have a large addition of cores the RTX system uses (Tensor cores? right?) and a newer better processor, so we will see that.

The 2080ti would be beyond your capable use on a 1440p 140hz. It is to drive 144hz 4k blazing fast. So the best card in your scenario, may be that 2080ti and it may last you much longer. as the new cards come out. But, if you wait till they do, you can pick up 2080ti gear for way less as early adopters dump their stuff, also, the neweggs out there will have to clear the stock so, wait, and pick up on cheap, or get a 3070 then which will be equal to a 2080 most likely.

Its tough to wait when money burns a hole in the pocket. I might suggest buying into an index fund at this point, since the market has been thrashed. The recovery will be really nice.

A 2080 ti isnt able to do  4k 144hz 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, Guest_Jim_* said:

Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Deliver Us the Moon are the two other DLSS 2.0 supporting games currently. Haven't looked at MW5's implementation yet, and that's the only game I have with it, but should be able to soon. It would be nice to be impressed by it as I just so vividly remember the polygon popping of DLSS in Metro Exodus. This new version sounds almost like a smarter SMAA T2x, with how it tries to reconstruct the original geometry/detail and uses temporal super-samples to aid it. Will also be interesting to see if AMD develops its own solution (not counting CAS but something that also leverages machine learning) or if a different, hardware agnostic solution is developed by others.

With DLSS 1.0 enabled my FPS almost double,.. http://www.3dmark.com/nd/79723

Playing MW5 running DLSS 2.0,.. I see 110% FPS increase over DLSS OFF,.. 

However one side effect of DLSS is that it does not play nicely with MSAA (forced through the drivers) or TXAA enabled in the game. Performance actually tanked pretty hard with either of those anti-aliasing methods on top of DLSS 2.0.

Edited by Braegnok

I know how DLSS works, but the two times I tried DLSS 1.0 (Metro Exodus and Shadow of the Tomb Raider) it made the visuals noticeably worse to my eyes. This was at 1920x1080 though, not 4K, and that may have an impact, as there is a lot more information to work with as I think it internally runs at 1440p for 2160p.