Need some help with Pentium G3258 OC

Vlados

So I followed the guide from here to overclock my Pentium G3258. It was previously overclocked at 3.8Ghz 1.1v. After of oc to 4.5 GHz 1.25v I began noticing freezing in games etc. So I changed the oc go 4.3Ghz with 1.25v. I got the same results. I then went to 3.8 Ghz but changed the voltage to 1.2v, I still experienced freezing. Finally I changed it to 4Ghz with a 1.1v and the performance is fine again. It seemed that I was only experiencing problems when I raised my voltage no matter the clock speed. I checked temps throughout all of the OC's but it only ever reached 75c at max on the hardest oc. Could this be a power supply issue?

Man this is a throwback lol. I'll have to think about it and get back to you. Unless someone else does.

I do remember ring cache being important...but its been a long time since I wrote that guide.

Most likely 4ghz is the high point for the cpu, not all cpu's will oc well. Could also be you have to change your memory settings as you raise your oc. Never owned one of these cpu's so this is just a guess.

If i remember correctly Haswell CPUs top out between 4 and 4.5ghz. I remember it took a lot of tweaking to get 4.6ghz to boot and actually I eventually killed the cpu with voltage going for 4.7ghz @1.45v.

1.4v can work, but you will cut the cpu life in half. I would first try 1.3 and 1.35v before giving up.

You might need to look into ring ratio multi and cache voltage. Than if that doesnt help the sub stuff like I/O voltage can play a small role in stability.

I think its all covered in the guide.

Edit: what type of cooling do you have and temps under load? Before going above 1.2v, you should have decent cpu cooler. The included cooler can barely do the job of a stock cooler.