How to choose a drive?

F13Bubba

Hey Y'all,

I just won a gaming computer (no idea when it's getting here) but it looks like they decided to cancel the 2 2tb hard drives, and threw in a gaming monitor instead (not complaining.) As I feel 2 240gb SSD's won't be enough, I'm looking for a drive for data storage. Currently, I get by on a 250gb and a 750gb. So I'm trying to decide on storage and speed. I'm thinking a 2-3tb drive should be plenty for the next few years. Should I go fancy name brand, or bare drive? 5400rpm or 7200? I'm leaning toward this drive for the price. Thoughts?

Any 2 or 3 tb hd should be good, I would go with a 7200 rpm just because I find them faster for transfering large files , sata 3 not the older sata 2. That seagate you linked to has a bad review for early death if I remember correctly. I like WD drives better but then again that's just my opinion.

Any 2 or 3 tb hd should be good, I would go with a 7200 rpm just because I find them faster for transfering large files , sata 3 not the older sata 2. That seagate you linked to has a bad review for early death if I remember correctly. I like WD drives better but then again that's just my opinion.

From some further research, Seagate seems to have the highest failure rate. I thought I was using a seagate, but I remembered it's a Hitatchi.

I had a WD My Book external drive that went dead just after the warranty expired, but my WD 1Tb Black has been soild since 5/1/2010. It was my main drive until I won a ssd in the OCC Christmas Contest three years ago. Now I just use it for storage but it still doesn't have any bad sectors.

• 2 weeks later...

HGST has the lowest failure rate of any spindle drive out there. Even lower rates than WD themselves.

They will as they are owned by WD and they use WD technology in there drives.

From some further research, Seagate seems to have the highest failure rate. I thought I was using a seagate, but I remembered it's a Hitatchi.

They're average.

HGST is the current best drive, but you'll pay out the nose for it compared to almost any other as they're enterprise-only (unless you get an old model).

I buy whatever is cheapest and don't trust any of them. :lol:  Even the best drives will die, and if you only have a single drive, you're going to lose whatever is on it eventually.