headphones recommendation

alexscott

I'm looking for a pair of headphones in the $150-200 range. I've never really had a good pair before and I'm looking to get one to go with my iMac. I do some gaming and I listen to all genres of music. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks

Welcome to OCC alexscott,

I use the SteelSeries Siberia 800 wireless headset they were about $250 on Amazon, https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-800

since I prefer wireless and if I only wanted to spend $150, I like the Corsair VOID headset.  http://www.corsair.com/en-us/void-wireless-dolby-7-1-gaming-headset-special-edition-yellow-jacket

I'd look at some by Beyderdynamic (like the DT 770 PRO 32 ohm), Sennheiser (HD 558 or HD 380 PRO), Ultrasone (HFI 580/780 or Performance 820), AKG (K 272 HD), and Audio Technica (ATH-AD700X or ATH-A700X).

Well, i went through quite a few headsets but honestly, even Sennheiser Game Zero don't cut it for me in terms of audio quality. I think i'll go back to Technics RP-DH1200 headphones and get a dedicated mic... Sadly enough not a single gaming headset, be that wired Razer Carcharias or wireless Corsair 2000 just don't deliver the sound i am looking for. Could be just my personal preference.

Thoughts: not sure how much does the sound card affect the quality but i am running X-Fi Titanium at the moment. Thinking about switching to Asus Essence STX, perhaps that could affect the way the headsets sound.

Edited by That_Guy

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
With an impedance of 38 ohms you don't need a headphone amplifier to drive these studio headphones and you can freely connect MP3 player or older audio devices and enjoy listening to music. Not every stereo headphones sound such airily and openly. Instruments are separated very distinctively and not merged into one flow. Even when used at high volume, these studio noise cancelling headphones don't distort the quality of the sound at all.

Edited by jack102

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

With an impedance of 38 ohms you don't need a headphone amplifier to drive these studio headphones and you can freely connect MP3 player or older audio devices and enjoy listening to music. Not every stereo headphones sound such airily and openly. Instruments are separated very distinctively and not merged into one flow. Even when used at high volume, these studio noise cancelling headphones don't distort the quality of the sound at all.

Why such a price disparity in the different colors? Are they actually different models?

I have a pair of Philips Fidelio X1; They sound great and are super comfortable.

Now there are the new X2's out, which are supposed to have better lower end. So if you're willing to spend around 250$,or maybe second-hand. I definitely recommend them. 

I'd look at some by Beyderdynamic (like the DT 770 PRO 32 ohm), Sennheiser (HD 558 or HD 380 PRO), Ultrasone (HFI 580/780 or Performance 820), AKG (K 272 HD), and Audio Technica (ATH-AD700X or ATH-A700X).

^^^^^ This

those are all good headphones

the m50x and the 900x are similarly priced so no reason to get the older 700x

the 50x have a little more bass you might want over other audio technicas

keep in mind

you need to decide, CLOSED or OPEN headphones

there is a difference

and do you NEED a mic for gaming, or is a clip on fine?

Thoughts: not sure how much does the sound card affect the quality but i am running X-Fi Titanium at the moment. Thinking about switching to Asus Essence STX, perhaps that could affect the way the headsets sound.

if the SOURCE of your audio is garbage, a sound card won't help much

for instance, audio on a blu-ray will be better than audio from youtube

what you may need is POWER

an external receiver or powered amp might be what you need

they make small ones with just headphone output for PCs at different price levels

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-111567-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KVVX2QW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457394737&sr=8-2&keywords=pc+amp

• 3 weeks later...

I use the ATH-50x and love them. I use them for my PS4 primarily, so gaming only. Only comment on them is they're pretty tight out of the box, so you may need to wear them a bit more than some others I've owned to get them comfy.

I've not run into an instance on gaming where I needed an external amp with them, either on PC or on PS4 though. I do not, however and despite my job, consider myself a hardcore audiophile.

And if you're gaming and buying something like the ATH50x, don't forget you can add a ModMic for voice comms :)

(Paid for by the modmic for modmic foundation. I do work for them, afterall)

-Joe