Advantages To Linux

General

I donno.. i was pissed of by microsoft today, so i was thinking about making the switch to linux. plus from waht i hear universities only use linux, so i better get cracking on learning.

so what are some advantages to linux. i made a search but, im not really willing to go through 34 pages of results. just give me a brief

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

university of calgary <-- i plan to attend..

their computer science faculty uses only linux informs me a prof who works there.

I dont know where you heard universities only use linux. But anyway, linux rocks. Even though its practilly impossible to get my 9700 pro card to have 3d acceleration.

lol now thats all fine and dandy but i still dont know how its better than windows :P

I thought that for a while too, but that's the problem with it... Imagine the fact that once you start using it, it becomes easier then windows... There is a learning curve to it, as anything, but lots of things apply the same way as they do in game to game... (ie the W,A,S,D keys) it's not hard to install, though there is some risk, it's built to stand along side windows, at least n00b versions are. You have nothing to lose, it's completly free, so is most all software, if you learn more, you can start tailoring your OS to do what you want it to, why? Because you have the source code and the freedom to do what you want with it... You can give all the sofware to your friends without possible legal hassle, why would a CS division use linux, because they know how to use a computer to it's fullest and linux lets them and anyone else be able to do it... Plus the fact it's ultra secure in a server environment as the entire OS is based around built in security, no viruses run on it, and with KDE and Gnome (desktop progs) it looks and runs basic functions like windows...

It might be tough to learn (like being a comp newb again), but at least it's not crippling like MS product... That's the whole reason MS is still making billions a year, because people say, "it's too hard". Remember that next time your comp freezes and explorer.exe crashes and you have to restart...or norton says it just found a virus, or that spyware prog pops up another ad. Think about that you don't have to put up with any of that, it won't cost you a cent, and you will learn more about you computer and it's possibilites beyond what windows says it is...

Odd this rant is considering I'm such a n00b, but hey, at least I can say I'm learning... :bah:

Put it this way, we all love google here right, I bet you used it for your linux search?

GOOGLE IS RUN ON LINUX!!! they also have a linux search on google.

I thought that for a while too, but that's the problem with it... Imagine the fact that once you start using it, it becomes easier then windows... There is a learning curve to it, as anything, but lots of things apply the same way as they do in game to game... (ie the W,A,S,D keys) it's not hard to install, though there is some risk, it's built to stand along side windows, at least n00b versions are.  You have nothing to lose, it's completly free, so is most all software, if you learn more, you can start tailoring your OS to do what you want it to, why? Because you have the source code and the freedom to do what you want with it... You can give all the sofware to your friends without possible legal hassle, why would a CS division use linux, because they know how to use a computer to it's fullest and linux lets them and anyone else be able to do it... Plus the fact it's ultra secure in a server environment as the entire OS is based around built in security, no viruses run on it, and with KDE and Gnome (desktop progs) it looks and runs basic functions like windows...

It might be tough to learn (like being a comp newb again), but at least it's not crippling like MS product... That's the whole reason MS is still making billions a year, because people say, "it's too hard". Remember that next time your comp freezes and explorer.exe crashes and you have to restart...or norton says it just found a virus, or that spyware prog pops up another ad.  Think about that you don't have to put up with any of that, it won't cost you a cent, and you will learn more about you computer and it's possibilites beyond what windows says it is...

Odd this rant is considering I'm such a n00b, but hey, at least I can say I'm learning...  :bah:

Put it this way, we all love google here right, I bet you used it for your linux search?

GOOGLE IS RUN ON LINUX!!! they also have a linux search on google.

u sound like a commercial dignan. lol. "Here at Linux we offer secure operating systems and virtually no threat from a virus of any kind, much less spyware. Along with a very open source code for you the user to customice to your own liking we have KDE and Gnome for you to customize even more. Forget those pesky things like crashes, freezes, and paying money for an operating system with tons of security holes. Come give us a try, risk free." hahaha. But hey General i am gonna be pretty much in the same boat as u i mean i am a complete linux n00b. but what have i got to lose if i get everything back onto my other hard drive? Don't know which distro i am gonna try right now its between Mandrake, Fedora, and Red Hat 9.0. But most likely Fedora since a lot of people seem to sware buy it.

I tried to last week and well lemme say my computer does not play nice with linux. Fedora won't install, most of the commands do not work for slackware (had a friend who runs it on his box try to no avail) and mandrake wouldn't even start to run the installer. Sadly I have no choice but to stay with windows.

That friend needs to learn on how to properly use Slackware... :P

I've installed it time after time and it works fine for me.