2560x1600...put the hurt on my 7970

IVIYTH0S

Personally, I would choose an R9 290X for your situation. While two 7970's in Crossfire be 30% faster than a single R9 290X, you're dealing with gaming at 2560 x 1600 resolution. While I did not have issues with 7970's in Crossfire at 2560 x 1600, the 4GB VRAM compared to 2GB VRAM will help for the newer games out there that are utilizing more VRAM for Ultra graphics settings.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you running that puts a hurt on it? I didn't have any trouble at 2560x1440 with my 770 (or the 780) and the 770 is a bit slower than the 7970 in most games...

At the moment, the new Tomb Raider, which I started in 1920x1200 maxed and then 2560x1600 I had to turn down somethings (still looks great but imagine this isn't even a particularly hard title, not to mention it's an AMD optimized title). I suppose I could just deal and then see what next game I play (which will VERY likely be older than Tomb Raider, since that's my newest game in both date of purchase and date of release)

Its water cooled but yep was looking at $100 for it. but we can talk if you like.

Self contained water? I don't run any custom loops of water, I'm all air over here.

yea, i never had a problem with cf'd 7970's when i had 'em in here....they did a fine job at max everything...

Is that a vote for CF from you too?

Crossfire it up! :banana:

Or failing that, turn down some settings so you can run your games at the big res. :P

I already DID turn down some things, which is what got me here :P

But is that a soft 4th vote for CF?

I love how not one person has recommended a single card but rather CF from everyone... I guess i oughta add that to the main post.

I pretty much maxed TR at 2560x1440 with two of them, think I use 2xAA since I literally cannot tell the difference when I toggle from 2x to 4x at that resolution. It looks surprisingly beautiful, probably some of the best face models and textures I've ever seen. 

Been running them since whenever I bought the second from here, think it was last september? Over a year for sure though.

Edited by Puck

Personally, I would choose an R9 290X for your situation. While two 7970's in Crossfire be 30% faster than a single R9 290X, you're dealing with gaming at 2560 x 1600 resolution. While I did not have issues with 7970's in Crossfire at 2560 x 1600, the 4GB VRAM compared to 2GB VRAM will help for the newer games out there that are utilizing more VRAM for Ultra graphics settings.

2GB? You mean 3GB? So I guess that's one for the 290X then

I pretty much maxed TR at 2560x1440 with two of them, think I use 2xAA since I literally cannot tell the difference when I toggle from 2x to 4x at that resolution. It looks surprisingly beautiful, probably some of the best face models and textures I've ever seen. 

Been running them since whenever I bought the second from here, think it was last september? Over a year for sure though.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind doing a CF setup but do you think I have the room?

Here's my case spacing now, I can move my harddrives and their cables elsewhere so don't worry about them. Just picture them gone

graphiccardspacing_zps91769184.jpg

Yeah, I meant 3GB, sorry.

If you do get 2 HD 7970's in Crossfire, just have a case fan between the two cards to blow outwards. It'll help temps some.

Yeah maybe, I'm looking into it now... I wonder if I can get a pretty penny for my 7970 at a mining site since they seem to sell both high and low on there.

I know for certain I can get another 7970 Twin Frozr for $150 but really it doesn't have to be... I'm wondering if a reference card or one with an aftermarket cooler'd be better since the reference cards seem optimized for multi-card setups and the after market coolers are better and more quiet but don't seem as ideal for multi card configurations

HD 7970 reference cards run hot, and are noisy. You're better off with another aftermarket cooler card, especially since you keep an open case, anyway. As long as you have adequate airflow between the cards, you don't have to worry about the heat.

I'd offer you a deal on a HD 7970, but I only have Gigabyte Windforce and Sapphire Dual-X's, not another Twin Frozr.

$150 is way too much when Ccoke just offered a HELL of a deal on a WC one for $100. I would get that, then just get whatever cooler you want and sell the waterblock if you really don't wanna go WC.

HD 7970 reference cards run hot, and are noisy. You're better off with another aftermarket cooler card, especially since you keep an open case, anyway. As long as you have adequate airflow between the cards, you don't have to worry about the heat.

I'd offer you a deal on a HD 7970, but I only have Gigabyte Windforce and Sapphire Dual-X's, not another Twin Frozr.

Are they both about the same height as my card? PM me about said deal so I can decide...

I have updated the main post with the counted votes so far as well as my approximate investment for each choice... looks like the 970s not going to happen lol

$150 is way too much when Ccoke just offered a HELL of a deal on a WC one for $100. I would get that, then just get whatever cooler you want and sell the waterblock if you really don't wanna go WC.

Yeah but I know I wouldn't wanna WC it lol. It'd be a hassle to try selling that cooler/block and then finding a new and good one that also meets my tight space requirements. Ya know?

heck the first aftermarket cooler I found cheapest was almost $63

Edited by IVIYTH0S

And your reason being? Other than it being efficiently awesome...which I know it is, but at such a steep cost it's hard to justify. Even after the sale of my 7970 as well as pretty much being equal to the 290x when all is said and done I'm not seeing it worth the extra money. Ya know?

Edited by IVIYTH0S