2nd gtx 580 or try to save money for a newer gen card?

14 members have voted

1. 1. should i sli or save money to go for a new gen card?

• sli
    • new gen card

Ya if you managed to get a free card or score one for $50 I would say do it, anything more then that might be better to save for a new card. I know your budgets tight so I was giving you the cheaper option. :)

The boss man has the right idea

For cheap enough the SLI option has pros, but personally I was running out of video ram in several newer games with the 2GB GTX 770 SLI combo.  Combine the more erratic frame rate and the issues that many (myself included, NOT factoring in the issues from the Corsair H100i leak that's now from over a month ago, update on that tomorrow, not sure if good or mediocre news just yet, promised I would give a Corsair rep time to talk before I post the info from our email chain last Friday) have had off and on with SLI in general I would go newer bigger card.  

In all honesty I've had several times where I've just said to hell with it and disabled SLI to play because 70-80 fps is loads better than 150 dropping to 50 for no clear reason.  Actually the experience with my 750 TI wasn't half bad again due to the stability of the frame rate.  Though this R9 290X being stable @ 150+ in the same scenario works well too, but at just over $400 for this one it did hurt the wallet a bit.

And that's another thing, if you NEED performance NOW and don't want to break the bank adding a 580 should be a lot cheaper if you just can't wait.

Edited by cchalogamer

Ya if you managed to get a free card or score one for $50 I would say do it, anything more then that might be better to save for a new card. I know your budgets tight so I was giving you the cheaper option. :)

If i could score a gtx 580 for 35 euro's i wouldnt be asking this question in the first place, that would be a no brainer xD

Thanks people for the advice, i will keep my money at bay and will get a newer gen card when i have enough money to spare.

Probably a wise choice.  But I really have no idea why so many people appear to have issues with SLi.  I've ran GTX 460s, GTX 570s and now GTX 670s in SLi with hardly an issue save power supply requirements and the extra heat dump.

BF4 was sketchy for while on both the GTX 570s and the GTX 670s but a few tweaks cleared that up for the most part.  And the latest nVidia driver release did wonders for BF4 with the GTX 670 SLi combo.

I guess either I'm very lucky, or I don't play any of the same games that seem to cause everyone else problems.

Probably a wise choice.  But I really have no idea why so many people appear to have issues with SLi.  I've ran GTX 460s, GTX 570s and now GTX 670s in SLi with hardly an issue save power supply requirements and the extra heat dump.

BF4 was sketchy for while on both the GTX 570s and the GTX 670s but a few tweaks cleared that up for the most part.  And the latest nVidia driver release did wonders for BF4 with the GTX 670 SLi combo.

I guess either I'm very lucky, or I don't play any of the same games that seem to cause everyone else problems.

Ya I am with you, SLI has been great for me for quite a few years now, never had any issues unless it was a game that didn't support SLI but that was usually fixed quickly with a driver update.

Ever since I got boned with my lack of vram (not raw power) with my old 5970, I'll never again screw myself with a dual GPU setup and you shouldn't either. (unless it's cutting edge and you have money to burn or there's no better single card)

Edited by IVIYTH0S