Triple TECs - Double chiller + Direct Die Cascade? Sure, why not!?

Puck

Figured I'd liven up the tech side of OCC and post what I'm working on here...

So I was tossing up the idea of building a small TEC chiller to run in front of my SDD Arqtik block for a while, but it was just an idea I was tossing around on my backburner.

Fast forward to today, and I was looking through some forum classifieds for an AIO cooler for a rig I am building for a friend. Low and behold, I stumbled on someone selling not one, but two of the Mindchill Arqtik chillers and the dual controller. I only really needed one, but they are hard to find and the price was decent so I jumped on it...they should be shipped out tomorrow :). Just the 2 chillers kept a 3770k at 5ghz in the 50s, so adding them before my single TEC block should be interesting. Current plan is to set chillers to keep coolant temp at dew point (~10c), then run the SDD block at full tilt. Should be interesting what the block will do with now with ~30c cooler water on the hot side. I would love to see low 40s load @ 4.8ghz like that :).

New cooling setup will be:
Cold side: MCP655, 2x Arqtik chillers in series on dedicated bit-chill controller, Arqtik Single Direct Die on a second controller, all 1/2" barbs, pump and all 3 TECs at 14v.
Hot side: MCP655, Three Black Ice GTX 480 Quad radiators in series, Dangerden dual bay res, a million 80CFM 120mm server fans
GPUs: MCP655 modded for G1/4" barbs, modded CPU coolers on both GPUs, Aquacomputer AMS 280mm Rad, modded stock VRM plates w/ fans, Phobya tube res

...everything will be internal - 3 separate loops, 3 pumps, two chillers, one TEC block, both controllers, three 480mm rads, one 280mm rad, both reservoirs, approximately 30 120mm fans...WHEW.

Edited by Puck

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered my third 655 today. I used to have 3, but one of them finally died a few months back so I am down to 2 (one on GPU loop, one on CPU). They last forever and are my pump of choice - the one that died recently I bought used from a forum with a 2006 build date LOL. I ran it 24/7 for a year before it started grinding, and who knows how the previous owner treated it. I think it was ran dry since when I took it apart the only thing wrong was the ceramic bearing was unevenly warn out and causing it to wobble and hit the casing.

Still looking for a third Quad radiator, preferably a matching Black Ice GTX GenII. Let me know if anyone has any leads on one...dont want a thin one like Swiftech though.

Also decided to insulate the cold side tubing and let them do work - not going to dew point limit the chillers to ~10c. I plan on mixing antifreeze in the cold side and running both chillers at 0c then the block at full tilt - should be good for almost 500watts of total cooling all for my 3770k :D.

Started a quick switch panel to override the dew point monitoring of the Arqtik controllers. Basically just wire in a switch on one leg of the ambient temp sensor, so when you toggle it the temp sensor goes open short, which is registered as a "0" by the Arqtik controllers firmware. That will let you override the dew point protection and target 0c regardless of ambient and humidity, without having to take it apart and run the TEC directly from the PSU. Flip the switch back, and the ambient is detected properly again, giving you full control down to 1* above current dew point to save power or prevent condensation if its not insulated.

Used a covered toggle switch to prevent it from accidentally being turned on and eating tons of power. Putting a second one right next to it, then installing two LCD temp readouts next to them to show coolant temp of the Hot and Cold sides.

68165235_urSTv4j.jpeg
ec9a1b51_JsDxOqr.jpeg

I'll finish it when the second LCD temp display comes in.

(The temp display you see there is not what I am using, I was just testing it with that. It is an ANCIENT display from an old Thermaltake Hardcano bay bus/fan controller. The mess of wires are from a 5v adapter that I spliced a molex on for testing stuff like that...I also have an old external CDROM 12v PSU that I did the same thing for testing 12v molex devices and bleeding watercooling loops :). )

Edited by Puck

Plan on finishing the bay by Saturday, then picking up some tubing insulation and making the PVC res on Sunday. Also still need to find a local place that sells Propylene Glycol.

Goal is to complete everything by Tuesday and get some results, since thats my day off. Will run Prime @ stock speeds, and at 4.8ghz. My IB is a high heat density one that sucks and wasn't able to do 5ghz last time I tried, but if I can get it stable there now I'll test like that too.

If anyone is interested in getting into TEC cooling for super cheap, I am thinking about selling my single TEC waterblock with the dew point controller for $150 shipped. It is good to ~150watts at 20dt w/ 12v, and processors up to 130w TPD. Will keep a 4.6ghz 2500k at ~45c full load. Basically 10c lower then quality watercooling with ~145watt power draw.

Block: http://www.arqtik.com/index.php/products/direct-die/80-arqtik-articles/arqtik-hardware/hardware/73-180sdd-direct-die-1155-1156

Controller: http://www.arqtik.com/index.php/products/controllers/tec-controllers/80-arqtik-articles/arqtik-hardware/hardware/86-ctcon-arqtik-bit-chill-control

I would be using that money towards a Quad TEC block and bigger PSU :whoa:

Edited by Puck

Got the bottom of the res done when I got home from work today.

Cart of goodies from Home Depot:

mZa57PY.jpg?1

Bottom part done!

R0GSXex.jpg?1

Tomorrow I will finish up the res, then go back to working on the bay controller/temp displays.

Almost done with res, just need return port and insulation. Will probably work on controller again tomorrow, I'm either on the border of catching cold or have allergies and its annoying as hell.

c0jFGxf.jpg?1