I...I think it's time for a 30"

IVIYTH0S

So I was just wondering what 30", 2560x1600 prices have been looking like these days and stumbled upon this glorious deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-YAMAKASI-301-SPARTA-30-S-IPS-2560x1600-DVI-D-PC-Computer-Monitor-/141161911922?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20dde7d672

Really the only "con" is that it's only DVI-D (and my green side telling me the power hungry C-CFL tech is inefficient :P ), since I couldn't output from HDMI on my PS3 occasionally, though i wonder if I could just get a convertor cable and run it at 1080P?

I'm VERY seriously considering getting this though, even though my HP 24" has given me no trouble at all and shows no signs of failing yet.

Hopefully this won't take a royal dump on my 7950 in games, that's one of the biggest things keeping me off it...but my tax return does look like it'll be fairly hefty so maybe I'll treat myself to a 290 or 780 and then be ok...

Thoughts??

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice upgrade,.. 2560X1600 will put a damper on your current FPS settings but should be playable,.. browsing and all other apps will be amazing compared to your 24" HP,.. if you have $1500 you can pre-order a new Dual Hawaii XT card coming out in a few weeks,.. Ares III 8GB R9 290X is going to smoke at 2560X1600,.. :evilgrin:

I'm almost tempted to pick one up and see how it stacks up to my HP. What kind of panel is it? Nvm it says S-IPS in the title.

Edited by Coors

Nice upgrade,.. 2560X1600 will put a damper on your current FPS settings but should be playable,.. browsing and all other apps will be amazing compared to your 24" HP,.. if you have $1500 you can pre-order a new Dual Hawaii XT card coming out in a few weeks,.. Ares III 8GB R9 290X is going to smoke at 2560X1600,.. :evilgrin:

Yeah, I was looking at what benchmarks I could find of relatively high resolutions and it looks like my card may still be able to handle a good bit playable so maybe I'll clock it out and see how long it can survive :lol:

LOL I'm good on that, the most ridiculous I'd go is this 290 or this 780. Depending on if I want absolute performance or actually pay the PhysX fee so I can get to all the PhysX enabled games I've been putting off :P

I'm almost tempted to pick one up and see how it stacks up to my HP. What kind of panel is it? Nvm it says S-IPS in the title.

DO IT! You'd be one of the few on here who'd be able to tell me if I'd truly be "saving" by getting this over a more expensive name brand 30". I found this also if I wanted an LED panel with more inputs, not pixel perfect though. Pixel perfect costs nearly $100 more than that, and at that price I might as well just go all the way with this Dell

Edited by IVIYTH0S

You could always make a custom resolution and see how well your card performs under 2560x1600 before you jump ship.

How?? My monitor is an LCD, native at 1920x1200... It's not like a CRT where I could just set it to whatever and enjoy going blind lol

You could always make a custom resolution and see how well your card performs under 2560x1600 before you jump ship.

How?? My monitor is an LCD, native at 1920x1200... It's not like a CRT where I could just set it to whatever and enjoy going blind lol

I can make a custom resolution with my 9800gt on my 1920x1080 lcd tv, the max i can set it to is 2560x1600, so why can't you do the same? :P

I just go into the control panel and go to the resolution tab, there you can make a custom resolution...unless AMD cards can't do that...that would be different ;P

Here is an example of my desktop on 2560 x 1600:

L8X5QbH.jpg

Ya, I know for sure you can make a custom profile with nvidia drivers to test out resolutions higher than your native LCD display. Good way to test out games you play and the FPS hit you'll take when stepping up in resolution.

Ya, I know for sure you can make a custom profile with nvidia drivers to test out resolutions higher than your native LCD display. Good way to test out games you play and the FPS hit you'll take when stepping up in resolution.

But i was questioning if you could do that with AMD cards as well (couldn't imagine it is not possible on an mad card tho).