Why SLI Sucks

cchalogamer

So what you are saying is that SLI sucks because of a hardware issue from a motherboard supplier. In that instance yeah performance sucks but the bridge being the problem is the issue not the multi GPU solution.  

Crossfire is viable and can work close to right if they get the drivers fixed. They seem to be doing better but still have issues with crashes using multi monitors and stuttering in game with multiple cards. Im waiting on another 290X to verify if their frame pacing works.  

So what you are saying is that SLI sucks because of a hardware issue from a motherboard supplier. In that instance yeah performance sucks but the bridge being the problem is the issue not the multi GPU solution.  

Not exactly, what I'm saying is that along with the other issues that ALL multi GPU setups have in this case the use of an SLI bridge that is likely unnecessary given that 1. Some SLI setups do not require it so the tech CAN work that way and 2. AMD has no problem using the PCI Express bus for Crossfire on high end cards now that caused me hours of annoyance and frustration.  So can blame the exact cause of this problem, or you can blame the entire solution that hangs on a $.02 part that motherboard makers skimp out on considering how few people actually USE the tech.

Keep in mind this isn't my first SLI rodeo so to speak and yes I most certainly would do it again given the right situation, hell if someone had a used GTX 670 they wanted to get rid of I could use one to pair with my other one at the right price for that matter.  

The original post was typed in a slight fit of rage having such a basic thing kill what would be $700+ worth of GPUs and I think we all know the title was to get people to look and it worked (no way anyone can argue that one if they're here reading it  :haha:

While I'm typing may as well give an update, after wedging the bridge on I'm actually still using the broken one, I haven't restarted the PC so no good time to swap them and other than rare cases it's been performing OK did have to wiggle it once playing BF4 but it went back to normal. 

Not exactly, what I'm saying is that along with the other issues that ALL multi GPU setups have in this case the use of an SLI bridge that is likely unnecessary given that 1. Some SLI setups do not require it so the tech CAN work that way and 2. AMD has no problem using the PCI Express bus for Crossfire on high end cards now that caused me hours of annoyance and frustration.  So can blame the exact cause of this problem, or you can blame the entire solution that hangs on a $.02 part that motherboard makers skimp out on considering how few people actually USE the tech.

Keep in mind this isn't my first SLI rodeo so to speak and yes I most certainly would do it again given the right situation, hell if someone had a used GTX 670 they wanted to get rid of I could use one to pair with my other one at the right price for that matter.  

The original post was typed in a slight fit of rage having such a basic thing kill what would be $700+ worth of GPUs and I think we all know the title was to get people to look and it worked (no way anyone can argue that one if they're here reading it  :haha:

While I'm typing may as well give an update, after wedging the bridge on I'm actually still using the broken one, I haven't restarted the PC so no good time to swap them and other than rare cases it's been performing OK did have to wiggle it once playing BF4 but it went back to normal. 

Yes AMD has both a hybrid solution and no bridge requirement on the 290X. How does it work? Jury is out on that one but will know soon enough. I have run both solutions over the past 6 years and have to say that consistently SLI works better. The best solution is always the best single card you can buy but outside that criteria right here right now I would run SLI over Xfire. 

I've only been using SLI for a few months, with two 780's and so far, the performance gain is pretty phenomenal. Beastly. With that being said, who knows what bumps I'll hit later on as my time with it continues. It seems like the more graphic intensive games are being developed with SLI setups in mind, but that's just a guess. Arkham Origins gave me minimal gains, but Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2 get spanked by it. On a side note, I don't plan on upgrading for a few years, but i'm sure I'll move to an X79 setup before then. Hopefully the dual 16x spec. will squeeze a little more out of them. If/when i get to that point, I may run into issues

I wouldn't say my experiences with Crossfire and SLI have been seamless...but they usually didn't make me hate life.

The only time I really hated things was when I rand Quadfire. :lol: Blazing fast for some things...and godawful slow for others.

I wouldn't say my experiences with Crossfire and SLI have been seamless...but they usually didn't make me hate life.

The only time I really hated things was when I rand Quadfire. :lol: Blazing fast for some things...and godawful slow for others.

I can't even imagine a scenario where I would need a Quad-SLI setup... for that matter, I can't think of a scenario where I could afford two more 780's, as I'd most definitely want (need?) to upgrade my infrastructure as well. It must be a thing of beauty in the right applications though. I'd imagine the X79 multi x16 lanes would come in reeeeally handy.

another lucky sli'er here.

460's sold off to a friend and still running with no problems

480's handed down to my brother when upgraded to 580's

580's still running strong im my current rig

560ti's in my work computer

4 gtx 8800 ultras 3way sli and 1 for physics

had 2 issues since ive been sli'ing.  1) bad sli bridge, opened a box grabed a new one and fixed.  2) benchmarks not supporting sli, its a benchmark who cares.

I've had real good results with SLI. 

9800gtx+

GTX 560

GTX 560TI

Why you ask?

1. Performance is very hit or miss and with every new game expect double the time to get drivers ironed out along with the SLI profiles to make everything happy. 

2. Half the time you have an issue with SLI the answer you get back across the internet is Multi-GPU setups never work right and if a single card works fine then SLI is to blame that's just that no fixing it right now. 

3. It's expensive, but I could easily argue if I had run my GTX 670 with another in SLI and put it up against a GTX 780/Titan/780ti I would have been faster and cheaper at times in the past

4. If something small breaks it will half work and drive you nuts after having an already bad weekend.

I disagree with each of those points.  Nvidia is great releasing drivers with new game launches.  I don't think I've ever heard that "Multi-GPU setups never work right" from any reliable source.  It's cheaper, compare two gtx 760 to a single gtx 780.  If a card has a problem then at least you have another to use while the RMA is handled, a bad sli bridge is pretty much a non-issue.

I think the real cons to SLI would be :

1. Heat, multiple cards generate more heat and that is never a good thing

2. Power, it will take more power to run multiple cards versus an even more demanding single card

3. CPU demand and hardware compatibility.  Not all mobos are compatible and the extra work load will task the cpu more as well.

Only had 1 multi-GPU setup, and thats my current 5850's

On the whole, they have worked ok. In the games that use em, its close to 80-90% extra FPS.

Recently discovered the convenience of running games in a border-less window, so that I can actually use my second monitor while in game without alt-tab and the mixed back of results that brings.

From reading around, neither SLi nor Crossfire work in Windowed mode :(

The other pain I have is the space they take up. I currently have a Xonar D2 in my machine, and am lucky that this sits above the GPU's, but alot of mobos I have seen have the PCI slot (if they even have one) either below the bottom card or between both cards. Both of which is bad! (I tried putting the sound card between the cards once...dam...the temps went mad and the fans where so noisy.)

So...this will be the last 2x card setup I run!

Fastest Single card I can buy from now on. (Even if that means slightly less bang for buck.) 

I can run windowed mode (and borderless) in BF4 with SLI, no problems.

So what games have you found that don't support SLI?  This one always comes up, but I haven't seen any new releases that won't work with sli/crossfire.  Is it really old or obscure games maybe?

Blocking off slots with big graphics cards is always a problem though, even with single card solutions.  You just need to know what to plan for when buying a mobo.

Fastest Single card I can buy from now on. (Even if that means slightly less bang for buck.) 

Can't argue with that, good idea.  BUT I bet you'll be back a few years later when your card starts to show its age and that option of adding a second card is itching at you.