Kids can't use computers...

Andrewr05

Great article!

It reminds me of a party when a classmate told someone iPhone 5's specifications and a girl asked him:" Do you really know all that stuff?". The first reply that came in my mind was: "OMG, that's basic stuff.", of course I didn't say anything.

I'm always amused when someone at my school says that is interested in computer science and if I ask for computer specs I get X GHz Intel/AMD CPU and X GB Nvidia/AMD GPU.

I'm glad no one was good with computers in my family when I was a child and I had to learn all by myself. Internet and basic english knowledge(from video games) helped a lot.

My dad used to say he was good with computers in the early 2000s. Yeah, no. He said pentinium instead of pentium. :lol:

That made me laugh. :lol:

Edited by 96andrei

Technology is so easy to use these days, most people don't see a need to understand how it works. When something doesn't work properly, people get frustrated easily. By the time it filters down to an expert or technician, all we get is an impolite attitude. What some people here fail to realise, is that people aren't automatically angry at you. They are frustrated with a specific device. If anything, I think it is the technology geeks who have a chip on their shoulder. People come to who they trust and think is the appropriate person for the job. This is an endorsement of your knowledge.

Good read, definitely agree.

The problem is that many people look down on geeks/nerds even though they rely on them...

While this is an example of it, that problem goes far deeper. As people we have a tendency to fear/disrespect that which we do not understand. I experience this one from multiple angles, as a tech, as a farmer i get looked down on as ignorant, backwards, and to quote "no better than the dirt work"(which actually was a backhanded compliment as at the time i had some excellent fields =p), as a shade tree mechanic i am told i waste my time/money and if i do work for someone else i am lowering myself to it. it is more apparent in the manual trades, truckers, farmers, construction workers, mechanics etc but society disrespects anything it does not understand, they try to forget they rely on us and make themselves feel better by characterizing us in a bad light.

Its the same basic principle as racism. They dont understand people who are different.

Good read, definitely agree.

The problem is that many people look down on geeks/nerds even though they rely on them...

While this is an example of it, that problem goes far deeper. As people we have a tendency to fear/disrespect that which we do not understand. I experience this one from multiple angles, as a tech, as a farmer i get looked down on as ignorant, backwards, and to quote "no better than the dirt work"(which actually was a backhanded compliment as at the time i had some excellent fields =p), as a shade tree mechanic i am told i waste my time/money and if i do work for someone else i am lowering myself to it. it is more apparent in the manual trades, truckers, farmers, construction workers, mechanics etc but society disrespects anything it does not understand, they try to forget they rely on us and make themselves feel better by characterizing us in a bad light.

Its the same basic principle as racism. They dont understand people who are different.

I completely agree and back up the claim that people are afraid of things they don't understand. I've got a wireless router in my bedroom, and its pretty close to my bed. My mom freaked out when I had AT&T install it in here, and said she refuses to sleep anywhere near it. She wouldn't say why, just that she wouldn't do it. I then proceeded to explain radio waves and how they're going through the house all day and that they have no negative effects, which calmed her down. 

I use it to my social advantage, seems to be more popular with the ladies as they widdle iphones always are having this and that wrong. I first tell them to get Android and then I'll offer help :lol: