Can I do anything with my old setup?

Harima

CPU-Z

Hey y'all. I benchmarked my ol' PC against the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark and it had my brain itching to find out if I can squeeze out a little more performance out of it without upgrading. I figure any upgrades I plan to do in the future would be to make a new system, which unfortunately is not soon. I did a little googling and it seems my mobo (Intel DQ965GF) is pretty terrible at OCing and I'm pretty sure the BIOS doesn't allow for it. The suggestions in the search included software clock generators and a BSEL FSB pad mod. I was hoping you can kind of explain the situation to me before I go into any wishful thinking mode.

As far as myself and my OCing background, there is none. I'm an OC n00b. From what I gather my mobo accepts "Intel

Edited by Harima

An E8400 is not a terrible CPU (though still only dual core) and that 460 should be okay for medium I would think.

Without an upgrade though you won't be able to overclock on an OEM Intel board.

An E8400 is not a terrible CPU (though still only dual core) and that 460 should be okay for medium I would think.

Without an upgrade though you won't be able to overclock on an OEM Intel board.

it's an E4400

E4400 is too old 

not worth your time

here are you options

new AMD processor+motherboard+memory

reuse case and power supply

or

buy a PS3

Haha I already have a PS3. I was deciding which version to preorder...tried giving my PC a chance but I'm just not confident in it. I'm in the PS3 beta and they did quite a good job with it and I'd be happy to get the PS3 version. Since it doesn't look like I can do much I think I've made my decision. Thanks!

Talking about overclocking, please tell us the model of PSU you are using in your rig. If it is good enough, then small amount of overclocking is safely possible in your setup.