Help me upgrade my system

Crueltylizer

Hi guys. I'm in the middle of saving up for a new upgrade and was hoping I could get some help as to which components I should start off with.

Current system specs

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel i7 950 (3.06 GHz)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX580
Ram: 12GB Corsair Vengeance (1600mhz)
HDD: 1TB WD
SSD: Currently broken
Case: HAF922

My upgrading thoughts

Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
CPU: Intel i7-4770K (Haswell)
GPU: EVGA SC GTX780

Ram: No upgrade
HDD: No upgrade

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series (256GB)
Case: No upgrade

I won't be able to buy all upgrades at once, but I want to buy them in 3 stages.

1. Mobo+CPU
2. GPU
3. SSD

The problem is that I'm not sure in which order I should get these upgrades. My current mobo does not support PCIE 3.0 for the GPU so I'm unsure if the upgrade will do any good - Also I'm wondering if the current CPU will be a bottleneck on the GPU.

Which order would you recommend?

I agree with Phil................

What is driving your upgrade?  Is it just the upgrade bug, are you wanting to future proof, or are you having trouble with your current rig (besides the broken SSD)?

You've really got a pretty decent X58 system, and you could easily overclock your i7 950 to 3.6Ghz or more.............

If you're upgrading primarily for gaming, I would replace the broken SSD and then look at the video card.  Personally I wouldn't worry about the motherboard or cpu until you run across a really great deal on either or in a combo.

And, welcome to the OCC forums!

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the SSD (Samsung 840 Pro series 256GB) and I've read a lot of forum threads about the performance with my particular motherboard. Apparently the Marvell Sata3 is not as fast as the Intel SATA2 and yet the perfomance of the SSD is not that great. So I'm wondering if my next upgrade should be the new motherboard from MSI and the processor to be able to get the full perfomance boost from the SSD?

If you were to change the motherboard I think you will see a little bit improvement of performance in that SSD.

But again that could be marginal.

Choosing the motherboard from various boards available in the market will depend on your budget & the type of overclocking you plan to do.

If you were to change the motherboard I think you will see a little bit improvement of performance in that SSD.

But again that could be marginal.

Choosing the motherboard from various boards available in the market will depend on your budget & the type of overclocking you plan to do.

You'd not see the difference, benchmarks gonna benchmark....real life gonna be real

You've really got a pretty decent X58 system, and you could easily overclock your i7 950 to 3.6Ghz or more.............

I agree with the above statement.  You should consider overclocking your cpu.  what kind of cpu temps are getting now?

you might actually want to consider getting that "CASE" upgrade after all with the possibility of water cooling?

That might be more fun for you.

MB/CPU first

SSD second

GPU last

My reasoning:

Some earlier X58 firmwares have issues with SSD's. If they don't have updated Intel Ichor firmwares on the sata controllers it can cuase ssd to got bad. I went through 12 Corsair SSd's because of that type of issue. Your maybe fine, but all the new boards have better support for the ssd's.

After the mb/cpu change get your ssd as it's the biggest noticeable difference in the system, but this way you don't need to reinstall windows since you got the new board/cpu first.

Lastly the gpu as your current gpu can run most current games well, and the new 700's is more for future games then current.

Just my .2 cents and the logic I used.