Reviving a 4870 fan?

NuComer

Sup guys,

The video card in question

My card doesn't have the red shroud since it performed a lot better without it for along time. The fan is not dead per-se since it tries to spin, the thing is that it's so heavy on the bearings that it doesn't go.

Right now I have the GPU underclocked to oblivion with a house fan pointed at it and and the temp is sitting @ 94C with just a youtube video playing.

Can this be saved or at least extend its time?

Thanks guys.

Definitely get an aftermarket cooler. High temps can also be attributed to bad thermal paste (which a new cooler should include new paste.)

Honestly though, it's probably worth 50 bucks or so in good condition, so you may be better off selling it as-is on ebay and picking up a new card instead of investing $20-40 on a new cooler.

I'd carefully rip out the older fan blades, put the shroud back on and then ziptie a case fan right on top.

When all else fails, zip-tie a scythe ultra kaze to anything that gets warm to the touch.  :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

You could try putting a bit of oil on the bearings.

If not, perhaps it's the motor that's about to die. Perhaps consider getting a cheap aftermarket cooler

I think I'll try that, when you say Oil, what kind of oil do you mean exactly?

Definitely get an aftermarket cooler. High temps can also be attributed to bad thermal paste (which a new cooler should include new paste.)

Honestly though, it's probably worth 50 bucks or so in good condition, so you may be better off selling it as-is on ebay and picking up a new card instead of investing $20-40 on a new cooler.

Im on the same boat with you, I'm not sure if it's worth the 50 bucks. Plus, this card isn't reference so it could be a hassle to get a correct fit.

I'd carefully rip out the older fan blades, put the shroud back on and then ziptie a case fan right on top.

I'll try that after oiling the ball bearings

Detach the fan, open up the back of it, and relube the bearing. If that fails just pull the fan and zip tie a decent case fan to the heatsink.

With what should I lube the bearings? 3 in 1?

Again, thanks everyone for their time.

I clean it thoroughly with alcohol and then lube with teflon grease.

If you cant find that you can use 3-in-1 oil or even Vasoline.

3-in-1 oil wont last very long though...a week or two at the most

When you say clean it thoroughly, you mean the insides of the fan?

dr_bowtie's recommendation is correct and I would say the same thing as well. First, you need to dismantle the card particularly removing the heatsink systems from the PCB and GPU. Then you need to remove the shroud and remove the fan. Even reference type fans can be re-lubricated.

his%20487x2%20fan%20back.jpg

It should also look like that. Simply remove the sticker and you should be able to access the bearings inside to apply lubricant. I personally prefer all-purpose mineral oil. Same old used for conventional sewing machines.