Andrewr05s mITX build list

Andrewr05

Sockets are a proprietary ploy to force the consumer into paying more then they should for an upgrade. Hell you may as well by a dell, HP, Gateway, etc...

This isn't true.

The sockets change for new CPUs to accommodate design changes that require a new socket. Hanging on to an old socket for longer than needed hampers performance increases and increases development costs for no real reason. Nothing about this has anything to do with buying a name-brand machine...so I'm not sure why you're bringing that into the conversation at all.

Perhaps at face value it seems like they are a ploy to increase motherboard/chipset sales but that's not really how it works.

O i c well fine, but I'll keep my raid.

It won't hurt anything until you have a drive fail. Drives do fail and I've gotten more than tired of dealing with the additional issues that a RAID 0 array causes. :cheers:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO!! i think we went off topic we where to assist Andrewr05 on what bes.... um well Andrew i agree to Spearsar trust me it not rocket science here ? ....... :unsure:

This is all purely speculative at the moment, this is just something on the backburner for now.

I may get excited and really get into this, who knows?

What is my cheapest upgrade path as of right now, taking into account that I usually upgrade the CPU a few times over the years?

Obviously I want to upgrade to something equivalent (just upgrade to a newer socket, then get better parts later) or better performing system.

I like buying used.

What I need:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Memory

Things I can keep from my old system:

1. Antec 430W PSU
  2. GTX 285 (or I can use a 4750 I 'acquired')
  3. Harddrives
  4. Antec P182 chassis
  5. optical drives
  6. etc.

My current system, short of the case and power supply and hardrives are all used parts.

I know its definitely not the most sensical way to go about it, but I like getting the cheapest used parts I can find and then slowly fine tuning the system how I like it over the next few years.

It seems like AMD is the way to go for budget now too (at least from what I've been reading) and there are a metric [expletive]-ton of CPU options for AM3+ as well, from semprons right up to bulldozer chips.

DDR3 is dirt cheap too...

If you made it this far and haven't yet facepalmed :pfp: or shaken your head in disbelief then thanks.

Should I wait until I have the money to just outright buy a new system all at once?

AMD or Intel for an extreme budget build?

If you have parts that you're not using, that are less than 2 years old and that you for some reason haven't put into the OCC marketplace yet, let me know.

Also if anyone wants to buy my curent CPU, motherboard and 8GB DDR2, whenever I actually decide to upgrade, let me know.

If anyone is a member of other computer forums and knows of any other members selling decent equipment I'd love to know about it.

94068775.png

This isn't true.

The sockets change for new CPUs to accommodate design changes that require a new socket. Hanging on to an old socket for longer than needed hampers performance increases and increases development costs for no real reason. Nothing about this has anything to do with buying a name-brand machine...so I'm not sure why you're bringing that into the conversation at all.

If you believe that I can't stop you. I've only had 3 AMD socket types and about 3 times that for AMD processors. Bottom line, AMD is future proof king, and soul mate of the enthusiast.

Perhaps at face value it seems like they are a ploy to increase motherboard/chipset sales but that's not really how it works.

It won't hurt anything until you have a drive fail. Drives do fail and I've gotten more than tired of dealing with the additional issues that a RAID 0 array causes. :cheers:

Yes I am aware of the risks, and besides all my goodies are mapped to a RAID 1. No issues with any of my RAID 0 since I first starting using it over 4 years ago. Maybe it's just the great AMD chipset... idk could be wrong.

It only has to bite you once before you realize that a RAID 0 of HDDs doesn't add any real performance and creates a lot more headaches than a simple RAID 1 or JBOD. :cheers:

+1 on that. Had 2x150 10k Raptors in Raid 0 for 4 years. One of the drives corrupted. I only kept them in Raid 0 because I was too lazy to un-raid them. :lol: I still never got around to formatting them and putting them back in my rigs, I just ran off my 1.5 tb drive after the raid 0 failed. :lol:

10k rapeters die fast i was on my 4th then whent on WD Black

+1 on that. Had 2x150 10k Raptors in Raid 0 for 4 years. One of the drives corrupted. I only kept them in Raid 0 because I was too lazy to un-raid them. :lol: I still never got around to formatting them and putting them back in my rigs, I just ran off my 1.5 tb drive after the raid 0 failed. :lol:

LMAO!! i think we went off topic we where to assist Andrewr05 on what bes.... um well Andrew i agree to Spearsar trust me it not rocket science here ? ....... :unsure:

General is right, forgive me Andrew for engaging in petty scrimmages. It just fires me up when I see guys with i7s and over 9000 gigs of ram telling the little guys to settle for an entry level i3. In the AMD world there is no hierarchy we are all 1337.

General is right, forgive me Andrew for engaging in petty scrimmages. It just fires me up when I see guys with i7s and over 9000 gigs of ram telling the little guys to settle for an entry level i3. In the AMD world there is no hierarchy we are all 1337.

What do you know about l33t? Look at my name. ;)

I have an i7 because I can afford it. However, i3 is also great, it's what I got for my mom's computer. Runs better and cheaper than AMD.

I am not sure if I should yell at your smack you.

You turn down a GPU upgrade to someone else (Tip my hat to you) now you want to upgrade. :wacko:

Well, to be fair I'm upgrading just about everything BUT the GPU.

:P

If you would have told me you were doing an upgrade and the GPU would come in handy I would have tossed other stuff in there for your upgrade.

GkpnC.jpg

I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer...

...everything BUT the GPU.

I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer...

oh cmon now andrew, you can do it...keep it cheap, keep it simple, keep it progressive,....you're on the right track !....re read some of roadrunner's i-3 overclocking threads,...