what is the fastest 7200 hard drive

cjloki

I'm in the market for about a 1 - 2 tb, 7200 rpm hard drive for a project i'm working on. i'm looking for the fastest read/write speeds, fastest sequential transfers, and good I/O performance. last time i checked about a year ago the samsung f-3 was about the best but i've been out of the loop and lost track of it all, and the interwebs are not much help...so does anybody know which hd is the current fastest thing ever ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for speed then an SSD would be the way to go, although SSDs generally max out at 512GB, there is no reason you couldn't put them in a RAID array, or alternatively you could go for a hybrid, although I have no experience with them myself

Edit: Spelling

Edited by EuroFight

WD Black is still on the top IIRC. The larger the drive (well, as long as the platters are more dense) the faster the sequential read/write speeds. Most 7200 RPM drives will be pretty comparable in terms of IOPs though, so highest platter density is the spec you should be looking for.

WD Black is still on the top IIRC. The larger the drive (well, as long as the platters are more dense) the faster the sequential read/write speeds. Most 7200 RPM drives will be pretty comparable in terms of IOPs though, so highest platter density is the spec you should be looking for.

ah ha, that's the lead i'm looking for,...thanx for the information waco !

imma stick with the mechanical drives for this upgrade, but thanx euro ! and imma good raid O er so the actual finished size isn't as huge an issue as cost is, (though i don't see raided drives being faster)

what is certainly important is speed/access times so i'll be searching platter densities !

thanx for that guys !

They're all fast! I'd be interested to know why a few percent here and there makes a difference?

I don't think it does. But other factors like quietness, reliability, cost... also in Samsung Spinpoint F3's favor. At least back in the day. Not sure how prices are right now in the market.

Don't forget that Samsung drives are now produced by Seagate, so I don't know if I would assume that the F3 is as fast as it once was.

I didn't forget. I mentioned in my first post. Re-branded Seagate drives are now the Samsung F3 1TB's, or so I've heard.

I didn't forget. I mentioned in my first post. Re-branded Seagate drives are now the Samsung F3 1TB's, or so I've heard.

You sound like you have a serious boner for these Samsung F3 1TB drives... :rolleyes:

It's too bad we just had one of these die a couple weeks back. :P

You sound like you have a serious boner for these Samsung F3 1TB drives... :rolleyes:

It's too bad we just had one of these die a couple weeks back. :P

You have no idea. The vibrations these drives give out...

Ahem.. that's sad to hear. Curious though, were they the Samsung originals or the re-brands?