OC i7 930

Mercman

hi all

need help getting a higher OC on my CPU

i just got myself a Gigabyte GTX670 OC card and want to do a bit of benchmarking.

i am running my pc @ 3.5GHZ for the last year and a half without any issues of any kind thanks to the help of OCC.

currently im sitting on 3.8GHZ and seems to be doing well...prime for about 5 hours and done a 20 rounds of intel burn test @max with no bluescreen or freeze.

any of these settings that are way out?

would it be safe to run this 24/7?

im trying to hit 4.0GHZ and i am not getting close to that.

what do you suggest i change to get 4.0GHZ stable.

my temps are all in the safe zone.

my settings are as follow:

Advanced CPU Features:

CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21 ]

Intel® Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Disable]

CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All]

CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Enable]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Disable]

C3/C6/C7 State Support ................... [Disable]

CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enable]

CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disable]

Virtualization Technology ................. [Disable]

Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enable]

Uncore & QPI Features:

QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36]

Uncore Frequency ..........................[x17]

Isonchronous Frequency ...............[Enable]

Standard Clock Control:

Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enable]

BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[181]

PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [100]

Advanced Clock Control:

CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800]

PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [900]

CPU Clock Skew ............................ [0]

IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0]

Advanced DRAM Features:

Performance Enhance .......................... [standard]

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disable]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [ 8]

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Quick]

Advanced Voltage Control:

Load Line Calibration .................... [standard]

CPU Vcore ......................................[1.21250]

QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................[1.295]

CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.800]

PCIE 1.500v ...................................[AUTO]

QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[AUTO]

IOH Core 1.100v ............................[AUTO]

ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[AUTO]

ICH Core 1.1v ................................[AUTO]

DRAM

DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.640]

DRAM Termination 0.750v.......... [Normal]

thanks

Merc

The main question would be, what kind of temp's are you getting.. the voltages look realy low for that speed.If temps are good (less then 90c full load/stress) then ya.

I have a old i7-920 C0 that's been running FAH for well over a year @3.6ghz averaging around 85c running higher voltages on QPI and Vcore without issues... (I did have a problem a while back where the waterblock plugged up due to pre-mix and it ran high 90's and thermo shut down a few times and it's still running fine :) )

I'm at work so I can't check my exact settings but if I recall it's getting around 1.35v ish range (might even have 1.4v on vcore..) on both qpi and vcore... though my chip isn't that great of an oc'er..

As long as the I7 is a DO stepping it should not be hard to maintain up to or better then 4ghz. Just as long as you can keep it below 85C the chip will be happy. CPU-Id should be able to tell you whats what on the stepping code. It should be a DO if anything. :D

Most of the I7 processors tend to like the 19 or 21 multiplier. Above 3.60-3.80 the Chip usually needs LLC (load line calibration) turned on. I would start by moving that setting and upping the Bclk. (base clock) up to 191 and run prime95 for a few hours under Small and large FFT.

your chip may ask you for some voltage, its safe to give it 1.30-1.35 if needed but try not to go to far too fast.

You may have to back down the ram clock as it will change when you move the Bclk.

You may need or IOH voltage.

Might consider dripping the QPI link ratio (uncore) as low as possible. This usually helps stability.

One thing I would consider doing is lowering the Ram down to 1066-1600 area for initial testing to get you to 4 or 4.20. Doing that will allow you to OC one thing at a time and be more effective in making the processor stable before messing with the ram.

other then that you are on the right track so far and just need to take it one step at a time. Just make sure you take time to verify stability between boosts in the OC. this will make a stable platform for you to fall back on when you need too.

need more help just ask away.

Later, Boinker

As long as the I7 is a DO stepping it should not be hard to maintain up to or better then 4ghz. Just as long as you can keep it below 85C the chip will be happy. CPU-Id should be able to tell you whats what on the stepping code. It should be a DO if anything. :D

Most of the I7 processors tend to like the 19 or 21 multiplier. Above 3.60-3.80 the Chip usually needs LLC (load line calibration) turned on. I would start by moving that setting and upping the Bclk. (base clock) up to 191 and run prime95 for a few hours under Small and large FFT.

your chip may ask you for some voltage, its safe to give it 1.30-1.35 if needed but try not to go to far too fast.

You may have to back down the ram clock as it will change when you move the Bclk.

You may need or IOH voltage.

Might consider dripping the QPI link ratio (uncore) as low as possible. This usually helps stability.

One thing I would consider doing is lowering the Ram down to 1066-1600 area for initial testing to get you to 4 or 4.20. Doing that will allow you to OC one thing at a time and be more effective in making the processor stable before messing with the ram.

other then that you are on the right track so far and just need to take it one step at a time. Just make sure you take time to verify stability between boosts in the OC. this will make a stable platform for you to fall back on when you need too.

need more help just ask away.

Later, Boinker

:withstupid: I second everything there, he left nothing out lol

thanks for the help guys.

left my pc on during the night running prime95 and when i came back this morning i found it had rebooted.

gave the cpu a bit more juice and started running prime again.

@Boinker - yes this is a DO stepping cpu

@Hyper - my temps are currently maxing out on 77 after about 2 hours of prime95

The temperatures are good. And it just may need a little voltage tickle to get there. Maybe the qpi/vtt. Either way you'll get it. Let me go dig up ill post it up on my main rig.

Here is the BSOD decoder for when I OC 1366 I7's Just remember to

BSOD codes for overclocking

0x101 = increase vcore

0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is

0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore

0x1E = increase vcore

0x3B = increase vcore

0x3D = increase vcore

0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary

0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances

0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x

0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage

0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)

System Freeze = Usually increase V-core and test for improvement.

The temperatures are good. And it just may need a little voltage tickle to get there. Maybe the qpi/vtt. Either way you'll get it. Let me go dig up ill post it up on my main rig.

Here is the BSOD decoder for when I OC 1366 I7's Just remember to

BSOD codes for overclocking

0x101 = increase vcore

0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is <----- Almost always QPI...

0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore

0x1E = increase vcore

0x3B = increase vcore

0x3D = increase vcore

0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary

0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances

0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x

0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage

0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)

System Freeze = Usually increase V-core and test for improvement.

Thanks a lot Boinker these will help a lot.

think im gonna get a H100 cooler...would like te see if i can get my temps at 75 max @ 4ghz

What kind of case do you have by chance??

I have a HAF-X.

the summer in SA is not helping at the moment. was hitting 83 degrees about 2 hours ago.

3.8ghz is stable now. left it overnight on prime and it did 20 intel burn tests @ max while i was at work....used remote desktop to log in every now and then to check my temps

im getting just over P8700 on 3dmark11 with a mild OC on the card.

Why not grab an xspc kit or.build your own custom loop that will blow an h100 out of its water??

that would be awesome but looking for the cheapest solution at the moment.

busy saving up some $$$ ,just confirmed my wedding date today with the venue