How many people are getting Windows 8?

MJCRO

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Windows 8?

I think it is good Microsoft is doing something new and fresh and the task manager and file management systems look nice ...but no.

With an SSD the only time I even had the opportunity to pause a file transfer is when I was transfering almost 400GB of raw video footage to a portable drive. That took awhile. Most of the time it is almost instant. For the most part I just see no reason to switch from W7. Everything is optimized very well for it and I know it works and I know HOW it works.

What I would like to see from a new version of windows:

•  
  • Profile scripting, like UNIX/Linux uses (C shell) ...so a fully functioning command line
  • Coded in mind to allow for mods (e.g. rain meter) so they don't impact performance
  • Make hotspots on your desktop to open applications/folders so it looks invisible to the human eye but its really a shortcut on your desktop
  • If you want to keep the lame tile presentation, let me customize my Start menu the way I want with a tile presentation but keep it off my desktop
  • More screensavers and bettery quality ones. I seen better ones in the '90s then the ones microsoft comes up with
  • Control Panel / Device Manager is a mess - fix it (frequent vs rare ...then sub-divide)

And for those people who think only sheep hate on Vista - please. At work we have XP, Vista, W7, UNIX and Linux ...and Vista is by far the undisputed Most Hated Champion. The other 4 though are great! I really love UNIX though. If I could incorporate its C Shell Scripting into windows that would be most awesome. Linux just isn't popular enough for software devs to support.

Guest Trankop

No and I have not even heard about the bad things in 8, if it is not better than 7 why should I get it, I skipped vista for example, unless of course security has been tightened in 8, that would be enough reason but have not heard of that.

What I would like to see from a new version of windows:

• Profile scripting, like UNIX/Linux uses (C shell) ...so a fully functioning command line
  • Coded in mind to allow for mods (e.g. rain meter) so they don't impact performance
  • Make hotspots on your desktop to open applications/folders so it looks invisible to the human eye but its really a shortcut on your desktop
  • If you want to keep the lame tile presentation, let me customize my Start menu the way I want with a tile presentation but keep it off my desktop
  • More screensavers and bettery quality ones. I seen better ones in the '90s then the ones microsoft comes up with
  • Control Panel / Device Manager is a mess - fix it (frequent vs rare ...then sub-divide)

1) Windows PowerShell is pretty damn good and is based on the .NET framework, which gives you a lot more control/tools than the original Windows command line.

2) Anything running (e.g. mods) will have some impact on performance. Vista and Win7 offered "widgets" (or whatever) that were rarely used. You can use rain meter and other mods in Windows 8.

3) How would this work? Move your mouse to a certain part of the desktop and launch an app? I could see that getting real annoying, real fast. I prefer some kind of user action (i.e. click).

4) I'm not a fan of the tiles and all of the wasted space. I applaud MS for attempting something new, but I don't think this is "the future." Customization would be nice.

5) I've not used anything besides blank screen, clock, or mystify. TBH, I couldn't care less what MS throws in.

6) I hated the redesign of the control panel in Win7 (Vista?)... I understand MS had a desire to simpilify it for users, but as a support person my first question is "does it say 'category'?". I cannot remember the last time I actually went to device manager.

Come on its beneficial to everyone :) hell I'll even try not to hit on blue while been an idiot in the future ;)

I think she liked it. :lol:

Also, on topic, grabbed four copies of Windows 8 yesterday for free. :)