Whats upcoming for Intel?

But it doesn't mention anything after Steamroller? Bulldozer isn't a disappointment if you use it for what it was designed for, shame consumer software doesn't use it to it's full ability like server software?

Bulldozer would be a great architecture for the future, but for now, due to the lack of multithreaded software and the fact Windows allocates load optimised for HyperThreading enabled processors, Bulldozer falls short of expectations, although I hope Piledriver with L3 cache can claw back some space on the benches

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulldozer would be a great architecture for the future, but for now, due to the lack of multithreaded software and the fact Windows allocates load optimised for HyperThreading enabled processors, Bulldozer falls short of expectations, although I hope Piledriver with L3 cache can claw back some space on the benches

The sad thing is the future should be now :( Shame Windows 8 is getting the patch for the Bulldozer based cpus and not 7... let's hope that Trinity and later will make them see the potential in the architecture, it's far from bad

The sad thing is the future should be now :( Shame Windows 8 is getting the patch for the Bulldozer based cpus and not 7... let's hope that Trinity and later will make them see the potential in the architecture, it's far from bad

Yeah I agree, it's just a couple of minor issues such as the scheduler and L3 cache that need to be addressed. Desktop Piledriver, Vishera (Trinity is APUs) will address the L3 cache issue when they are released later this quarter (Although I predict it will be early-mid next quarter), although I personally will be waiting for Steamroller (Which will be AM3+ aswell :evilgrin:)

Yeah I agree, it's just a couple of minor issues such as the scheduler and L3 cache that need to be addressed. Desktop Piledriver, Vishera (Trinity is APUs) will address the L3 cache issue when they are released later this quarter (Although I predict it will be early-mid next quarter), although I personally will be waiting for Steamroller (Which will be AM3+ aswell :evilgrin:)

BD has more than a few minor issues to be fixed before it can catch up with even the original i7. :P

BD has more than a few minor issues to be fixed before it can catch up with even the original i7. :P

I know, but AMD for me provides 'alright' performance - I mean, I don't need the power of an i7 3970 for what I do, for example BF3 is the most intensive thing I run, plus that is bottlenecked by my HD5570 anyway.

Edit: Corrected spelling :P

Edited by EuroFight

Mine could :P

Yea there are some that can, but I was talking mainstream. typicaly speaking the i7 3610QM with a gtx 670m. Im partial to Nvidia on desktops, but hands down AMD is the leader is laptop gfx's IMO

But it doesn't mention anything after Steamroller? Bulldozer isn't a disappointment if you use it for what it was designed for, shame consumer software doesn't use it to it's full ability like server software?

yes, it depends on how you look at it. I was mearly basing that option off the over hype of BD being the i7 killer ect ect. I knew that couldnt happen.

AS far as pricing goes. I think its safe to say that Intel has really stepped it up. Now you can get top end CPUS for under 350$ for i7s and 250$ for i5's. Not counting EE's ofc

AMD still provides a cost: performance ratio that I don't think Intel quite reaches yet

In a way yes, but not by much. Honestly as far as desktops go, Id gladly pay 230$ for a i5 3570k over a 160$ FX-8120 ANYDAY