QX9650 C1 stepping vs C0 stepping

Hello, I am going to upgrade my processor to a QX9650. And I found two online for sale, both are $230.00. The SLAN3 is a production processor with C0 stepping, and the QEFX is a engineer sample with C1 stepping.

Both chips have the same specs. and both are unlocked. I have read that the higher the stepping # the newer the chip is, and would have the latest support updates. and I noticed the Q9650 has E0 stepping.

Does any one know if a higher stepping # could mean lower V-Core thus run cooler, and perhaps overclock higher than other chips. or which stepping is the better of the two C0 or C1, or should I look for a chip with the E0 stepping. Thank You

Edited by Braegnok

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$230!! Dude get a new platform, 775's are STILL too expensive for their own good.

Newer stepping shouldn't be your concern, a newer platform, however, should be.

Selling your current Q6660, board, and memory you should have no trouble gettin nice 2500K/P67-Z68-Z77/8GB DDR3 machine and may even walk way with money in your pocket and a much better machine. 775 had their place but they still ask WAY too much for what they are. If the chip was $100...I'd still say you're getting ripped off unless it was brand new and even still, a core i3 could probably out perform that lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S

While what you guys said is good advice, but that still didn't answer his question.

http://ark.intel.com/products/33921/Intel-Core2-Extreme-Processor-QX9650-12M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB (click on Ordering / sSpecs / Steppings)

I can't answer your question accurately, but I'd take SLAWN one witch C1 stepping.

Edited by IlijaPlayerP

While what you guys said is good advice, but that still didn't answer his question.

http://ark.intel.com/products/33921/Intel-Core2-Extreme-Processor-QX9650-12M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB (click on Ordering / sSpecs / Steppings)

I can't answer your question accurately, but I'd take SLAWN one witch C1 stepping.

Because the only "stepping" he ought be concerned with is "stepping" up :P.

Thanks, All you guys,... for the helpful information. But I'm keeping the X38 and going to go with the C1 stepping 9650 for now lol. I am building another X79 board this winter, I have a Micro ATX Rampage 4 Gene LGA 2011, a 3930K Sandy Bridge, I need some ddr3 1600 memory, and I have not thought about a Case or GPU yet, And all my drives are IDE, but in 3 months I'll be asking some more questions once I start overclocking that new 6-core chip. :cheers:

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks, All you guys,... for the helpful information. But I'm keeping the X38 and going to go with the C1 stepping 9650 for now lol. I am building another X79 board this winter, I have a Micro ATX Rampage 4 Gene LGA 2011, a 3820 Sandy Bridge, I need memory and I have not picked a Case or GPU's yet, but in 3 months I'll be asking some more questions once I start overclocking that new 130W chip. :cheers:

NICE. I'm actually debating right now whether to buy a new DSLR or start on my own Micro-ATX X79 build. lol2.gif

Because the only "stepping" he ought be concerned with is "stepping" up :P.

Well yes :lol: , but as soon as new CPUs are out everyone forgets about the old ones and is like drawn to the new ones. I know that the Core 2 Extreme is three generations old, but it's still a decent chip, I would say. And I understand that it's not worth investing into an old platform, but maybe the guy likes that (like he said, he'll keep his X38 platform and make a new system build with an X79 platform).

My point is: While it's good of us to suggest "the smarter thing to do" and still answer the OP's original question, it's not not good of us to force the OP to do the the smarter thing and not answer the OP's question.

No hard feelings, I just felt like the idea of buying an i5/i7 was too strongly suggested to the OP and I felt like that wasn't very polite. Maybe it's just me :dunno:

Edited by IlijaPlayerP