GTX 680 1201MHz 2GB or 1006MHz 4GB?

Brutality

Because of the name of my previous topic and the subforum it was posted in, my questions had been misunderstood - so I will continue in the appropriate subforum and with a suiting title for my current question

As seen from the previous topic,

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=193270

My friend wanted the GTX 680 and we have narrowed it down to two options (he is not an overclocker and prefers to buy his cards factory overclocked)

1201Mhz 2GB version or 1006MHz 4GB version

http://www.edbpriser.dk/hardware/grafikkort.aspx?nf=strmatrix4%3a%5e%22NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+680+%C2%A40.0000000000%22%24%5bMultiValSep%5d%C2%A7&qt=Fql

Which one is best for 1920x1080?

As always - It's not a matter of "680 is overkill for games nowadays", it's a matter of "I want to beat my friend in benchmarks"

If needed, his specs;

MBD: Gigabyte EP43-S3L socket LGA775 1600MHz FSB

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz w/ stock cooler

GPU: Gigabyte GV N470SO-13I

PSU: Cooler Master GX RS-650-ACAA-E3

RAM: 4x 2048MB Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 800Mhz DDR2 (6-6-6-18)

SSD: Kingston SSDNOW! V100 128GB (Yes, I sold my SSD to him since I wanted an OCZ Vertex 3 240GB )

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 Desktop Class HD753LJ 750 GB

MON: Samsung SyncMaster P2270 21.5 inch @ 1920x1080

CAS: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I

Edited by Brutality

Well it looks like he upgrades fairly often (gpu wise anyway) so I'd say the 2 GB card.

Hehe, well if every 2 years is often, okay :P

Actually, it's not really an upgrade, rather - his GPU has been overheating for some months now (90-100*C), and we never managed to stop it from overheating (got him a very nice case with nice cooling), so now what I think is happening is that degradation or something is happening; 60% of the time his fps drops to 3 or so.

I know it would probably have been the best idea to change the thermal paste on it, but he didn't want me to "cut open" his card lol... so this is how it ends

His processor is not overheating, so I don't think that was the problem, but a GPU overheating for months can't end good?

Since it's 1080P the 2GB one.. Is he gonna get a bigger screen/surround?

I really don't think so, he's had a 23 inch once, but went back to 21.5 inch, and I don't think he has space for a large screen

Edited by Brutality

If he wants to get rid of the "broken" 470 for cheap shoot me a PM. :cheers:

Are you suggesting it's not the graphics card that is causing the 3 fps 60% of the time? Or are you planning on trying to fix it and use it yourself? :P

If he is certain that he will continue gaming at 1920x1200 resolutions or less, personally I'd recommend the overclocked 2GB version. The 4Gb version is an overkill for those resolutions. On the flipside, it's a shame that he doesn't want to tinker with overclocking himself because he might be able to get the 4Gb version and still overclock it a bit and get the best of both worlds.

Are you suggesting it's not the graphics card that is causing the 3 fps 60% of the time? Or are you planning on trying to fix it and use it yourself? :P

The latter. Might need a baking job and I enjoy stripping dead cards for wall art as well. :lol: