• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 towhog66

towhog66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

I have a SSD on the way :cheers: so i am thinking about using my 2 WD 7200 rpms 16MB Cache in Raid 0. But I have a lot of data on my 2nd hhd that I don't want to lose, so I'm asking well it be lost if i raid them?

Edited by towhog66, 01 August 2012 - 10:19 PM.

ok look at it like this if you can. in boxing we have to take a hit to give one, and 75% of the punch comes from our footing. if our footing is off and if hit we can get knocked down ( looks like a good hit ( right ), but it really was the footing ) my point is always stand strong and learn to move, and see the sings! life can hit us with weak PUNCHES and if our footing is good no weak butt punches can hurt...

#2 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5277 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Do not go raid 0 if you would like to keep your data.
Raid 0 if something goes wrong everything is lost no redundancies, don't even bother with it at all.

med_gallery_78215_532_67141.png

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#3 nickk47

nickk47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Well, I keep my data backed up once a week so I really don't worry about losing data. I have mine in Raid 0, and have had it for over 3 years with no problems.

| AMD A10-5800K @ 4.4GHz 1.46Vcore | Asus F2A85-V | AMD 7770HD 1GB | Asus N53 Wireless | Asus 21.5 Inch LED Monitor | Corsair Force GS 128GB | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz @ 9-9-9-27 | Seasonic FL2 460W Platinum | Corsair Carbide 200R with Sound Dampening | Corsair H60 Cooler |

#4 ir_cow

ir_cow

I Am A Cow...

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6400 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

to create a raid you need them both blank and once raided if one fails you lose all your data so i suggest you either do raid1 for redundancy (which is slower than a single drive) or back up your data weekly

IR Twitter / OCC YouTube Channel / NVIDIA OC Guides; 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080 Ti, 2080

OCC Best AMD Motherboard Picks 2018 / OCC Best Mid ATX Computer Cases 2018

Main Rig: Threadripper 1920X, GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX, NVIDIA RTX 2080, Intel 730(s) 480GB, 32GB 3200@CL14, Seasonic 1000w Plat.

Review Test Rig: : i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz, MSI-GD65 Gaming, Geforce GTX 770 , Corsair Force GT 240 GB, Patriot 16 GB 2400 (2x8gb), Thermaltake 750w.

#5 Erosannin

Erosannin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:59 AM

It's too easy but : will it be a 40 or 60 man raid?

XD

WarMachine
CPU : Intel i7-7700K @ 4.9GHz
RAM : GEIL Evo Potenza 16GB DDR4 Dual Channel 3000MHz CL15
GPU : ASUS ROG GTX1070 Strix OC 8GB
SSD : Samsung 960 EVO 250GB m.2 NVMe
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Keyboard : Razer DeathStalker Chroma
Headset : Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Mouse : Razer Mamba Tournament Edition Chroma

#6 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16508 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

Don't bother with RAID 0. If anything, do RAID 1 since you don't want to lose your data. Just use the software RAID 1 built into Windows...just make sure you don't mirror the wrong drive. :lol:

Tolerance is a sign of weakness.

#7 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5277 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

It's too easy but : will it be a 40 or 60 man raid?

XD

Oh OCC how I love you, a place where every forum and sub-forum is the Members Lounge :)

med_gallery_78215_532_67141.png

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#8 Nephilumos

Nephilumos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

Do not go raid 0 if you would like to keep your data.
Raid 0 if something goes wrong everything is lost no redundancies, don't even bother with it at all.

Don't bother with RAID 0. If anything, do RAID 1 since you don't want to lose your data. Just use the software RAID 1 built into Windows...just make sure you don't mirror the wrong drive. :lol:

RAID 0 is perfectly fine. If a HDD fails in a non-RAID setup, there's a chance that it's going to be just as unrecoverable as a RAID 0 pair where one fails. Not using RAID 0 due to the increased chance of hardware failure simply due to that fact that you are adding a new hard drive into the equation is almost the same as driving a car with 1 wheel because of the increased chance of a blowout if you use 4 wheels.

I've used RAID 0 for several years and have had no issues whatsoever and many other people I know who did the same in the past who have moved onto SSD's can echo my sentiment.

tl;dr: Suggesting against RAID 0 for failure risk increase reasons is illogical, based in opinion, and should not be used to scare people away from using it.

As for the question in the topic, if you've got stuff on one of those hard drives, you'll lose all of that data when you RAID them together.

Edited by Nephilumos, 02 August 2012 - 05:46 AM.

I refuse to cook poop with a computer...thanks

Main Rig:
Antec 1200
Asus Maximus VI Hero
i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz w/HT
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz RAM
EVGA GTX670 4GB

Corsair H100i
Corsair Enthusiast 850w PSU

Heatware

#9 wevsspot

wevsspot

I'm trying to be helpful.... really I am

• 16283 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

Neph - I completely agree with your post. I run RAID0 because I can and because it has never given me a single issue in all the years I've ran it. Does it really improve the day to day performance of my computer? No..... but I like to think it does :) And again, the most important reason is that I can. I loved your analogy about the car and four wheels.

Back when many HDD manufacturer's rated their drives in MTBF some of them (WD Enterprise and Black Edition Drives) had MTBF ratings of like 1.2M hours. So even if you cut that in 1/2 it's still 600,000 hours MTBF based on their statistics and internal testing results. So that is still like 68 years. That may be why some manufacturer's (WD for example) began using Component Design Life as the metric instead.

My formula for RAID is simple;
Take the warranty period of a single drive and divide in 1/2 and figure that's about when I need to start worrying about a replacement
Have a good backup strategy
40335406303_9d0700d9e9.jpg

#10 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Members
  • 16508 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Have a good backup strategy

I was trying to point out that running RAID 1 would be a better idea in this case, not that RAID 0 is super risky or anything. The OP doesn't seem to have a real need to run RAID 0 and the increased risk of data loss doesn't warrant the use IMHO (not in this situation) considering that he's got data he doesn't want to lose and, from what I can tell, no current backup strategy.

I ran RAID 0 for years and never had any issues until I ran my SSDs in RAID 0 and one of them went wonky. Thankfully I had numerous backups but it was a pain trying to get it all sorted out when one of the drives started to produce errors (random crashes, hitches, etc).

#11 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

RAID 1 is better IMO for HDD's due to the slightly faster disk access time and reads, though you lose half your space you would get in RAID 0.

For SSD's, definitely RAID 0. The performance gain for RAID 0 for SSD's is substantially better than RAID 0 for HDD's.

I do have two systems with RAID 0 for data storage with SSD's, but because SSD's are more reliable. I do backups of that data, so I'm not worried about data loss.

#12 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Members
  • 16508 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

RAID 1 is better IMO for HDD's due to the slightly faster disk access time and reads, though you lose half your space you would get in RAID 0.

With a good controller the RAID 1 should be just as fast as RAID 0 for reading and roughly as fast as a single drive for writing. I would say the stock AMD/Intel controller falls under the category of "good", at least for a few drives.