OC I7-3960x C2 & ASRock X79 Extreme6

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a firm believer in keeping within AMD or Intel's max voltage specifications. I also think temperature is a bigger factor in degradation. My i7-3930K is running 1.376V - 1.400V's since I've had it. My i7-2600K/2700K's have been known to go up to 1.48V's at 5.0GHz runs, but mostly 1.46V's at 4.9GHz. Never had any issues, yet. Max Load temps are always in the lower 70's to high 60's, while daily use max temps are usually in the high 50's and low 60's.

Ok El_Capitan, If your running your I7-3930K at 1.376 which is the stable Voltage I've seen repeated over and over on other places, and Except Cache size and some extra features, It's basically the same as mine!

So what do you have your I7-3930K Overclocked to with the voltage set to 1.376?

There's been 4 pages on this Post and not 1 post on the settings I should use to do or an opinion on the EZ OC Setting in my UEFI.

There is an option for the EZ OC at 4.4Ghz but the settings for Long and Short Duration Power Limit get set to high I believe, on a youtube video I saw on overclocking the I7-3960x to 4.8, It recommended settings lower for an OC of 4.8 than the settings that EZ OC put in for an Overclock of just 4.4.

Now I know with this Cooler and CPU, that 4.5 will be fine, So I'd like to OC It to 4.4, that will give a significant enough boost without having to increase the voltage by very much at all.

Does anyone know the settings for which to do this safely or know of a good Tutorial somewhere for doing it???

Fact: voltage kills Cpus i;ve seen it

Fact: heat kills cpu i've also seen it.

under normal settings I would say a cpu at say 1.4v 70c would die faster than a stock cpu at 1.3v @ 70c. Heat only kills if you are close to it's upper limit.

Was it bonker who just retired his i7 950 because it's been overclock so long that it's no longer stable? someone on here like last month had tread about it, duno who anymore.

When I got a hold of an Extra Motherboard from tacoHunter then I figured out I was Wrong. IT was actually The motherboard. Did a 48 hour stability test at 3.80 GHz on air and the system ran flawlessly. I'm just happy that my old system is able to

Lets be honest. Me personally, as much As I liked that board between Asus not willing to honor the boards warranty the board over a portion of the serial # missing, the Raid controller being defective and the NF200 chip going defective I am done with Asus. I will admit they are nice boards but Failures in customer service bring down the mightiest of Brands.

Just thouht I would Pop in an say a few words. Whats up? :D

Hornybluecow mentioned that i will see a difference In CPU Intense APPS, but that games see no increase past 3.3Ghz, If that's the case I think once I get this safely OC to 4.4 and run some tests to make sure It's stable, that I'll just save the settings as a profile in BIOS and just use It when I'm gonna need It, as to extend the life as long as possible on the CPU.

Once I get my SSD boot drive and my Video Card upgraded past a GTX 470, I can't see any reason for needing to upgrade anything on It for atleast 2yrs, My I5-760 that I bought almost 2yrs ago, still runs Witcher 2 on High with the right video card.

When I got a hold of an Extra Motherboard from tacoHunter then I figured out I was Wrong. IT was actually The motherboard. Did a 48 hour stability test at 3.80 GHz on air and the system ran flawlessly. I'm just happy that my old system is able to

Lets be honest. Me personally, as much As I liked that board between Asus not willing to honor the boards warranty the board over a portion of the serial # missing, the Raid controller being defective and the NF200 chip going defective I am done with Asus. I will admit they are nice boards but Failures in customer service bring down the mightiest of Brands.

Just thouht I would Pop in an say a few words. Whats up? :D

Called it. :happy:

Hornybluecow mentioned that i will see a difference In CPU Intense APPS, but that games see no increase past 3.3Ghz, If that's the case I think once I get this safely OC to 4.4 and run some tests to make sure It's stable, that I'll just save the settings as a profile in BIOS and just use It when I'm gonna need It, as to extend the life as long as possible on the CPU.

Once I get my SSD boot drive and my Video Card upgraded past a GTX 470, I can't see any reason for needing to upgrade anything on It for atleast 2yrs, My I5-760 that I bought almost 2yrs ago, still runs Witcher 2 on High with the right video card.

You do realize you are over analyzing this WAYYYYY too much right?

Are you aware that overclocking is chip dependent? Each CPU is cast from a silicon disk. When that silicon disk is formed, it has imperfections in it. Generally speaking, the center of the disk has less imperfections than something taken from the outer rim.

For the 2011 CPUs, the center of that disk is used for xeon chips. The very next section that is close to being perfect is the 3960x however, it still has imperfections in the silicon. These imperfections affect the overclocking potential of any CPU, and worst of all, they are random. For instance, you could have REALLY imperfect chip and not be able to overclock at all, or you could have a golden chip than can overclock to 4.7ghz without any voltage increase. In this sense each CPU is unique.

Normally when you look at other people's BIOS settings for their overclocks, it is to get a general idea of what type of settings should be like. However, it is NOT a recipe for success. What you need to do is start off at your base clock speed and raise the multiplier by 1. Then go into your OS and torture test your computer to see if you are running stable.

You keep repeating this process until it is unstable. When your PC gives you the blue screen of death, you have a couple options. Option 1 is to lower your multiplier to the highest stable multiplier and call it done. Option two is to mess with the base clock by raising that number up from your highest stable multiplier in order to push your CPU to it's absolute max limit for the current CPU voltage. And option 3 is your raise your voltage and keep raising the multiplier until your heat sink can't handle the temperature load.

From what you are saying you want to maximize the lifespan of the CPU and have power where you need it...... In this case I would go back to what waco said and just overclock the turbo mode and set the CPU voltage to it's stock setting. If your heat sink can handle the heat, it would probably give you the best of both worlds.

Lastly, if I am not mistaken, intel offers a overclocking utility from their website that lets you do all of this. Normally if you were doing pure overclocking I would say to use the BIOS, but since overclocking the turbo ratio sounds like a better bet for you, the utility would work just fine.

Dig it up bro.

Speaking of which, what board was it? I was having weird glitches with OCing on my deluxe board until I had it replaced by a refurbished model. Kind of wondering if there is a correlation.

While it is sad to hear you don't like asus anymore, I definitely understand where you are coming from. And hey, I guess that is why they make gigabyte boards ;)

Intel makes good boards too TJ. Love the one I have now. Recommend it all day sir. :D

I must give credit where its due to the manufactures in general. as complex as they are Its a wonder we can make things like that even as far as we have come.

Now enough of Derailing this guys thread. My bad and Sorry OP.

I Uderstand that I leave the BaseClock alone with OC this CPU and just tweak the Multiplier, and I'm pretty sure that 4.5 with a Voltage setting of 1.356 has been proven to be stable.

I've also read that I should leave on SpeedStep, Turbo Boost, and C1E Enabled. but that most of the power saving features should be disabled!

GO TO 8:00 Minutes Into Video!

The thing is that Although this CPU is 3.3 w/ Turbo Boost it jumps an extra 300Mhz when Under full load, so technically this CPU is 3.6 when It''s fully being used, So If I did an OC of 4.4, then when Turbo boost kicked in, it would go to 4.7 and I'd like to stay at or right below 4.5. I really wished someone on here happened to live near Berkeley, CA and wanted to make a lil cash :).

I'm gonna go look through that video real quick, then attempt a 4.0 to 4.4 OC and see what I can get. IF I don't atleast do an OC of 4.5, taking into account TurboBoost, that would be an extra 900Mhz, which would be good with me.

Well any other tips on Actually Overclocking my CPU would be appreciated, lol :) Wish me Luck!