OC I7-3960x C2 & ASRock X79 Extreme6

Unless you run it too hot or with too much voltage it won't die in any reasonable amount of time. Doesn't it have a 3 year warranty anyway? :P

Well I know that the Cooler I'm using the CM Hyper 212 Evo, by a guys review, he used the same 2 things and OC to 4.5 and the temps were fine, and he got it under load OC to 4.5 with temps no higher than 68 and he was only using 1 fan.

I have 2 fans installed, BUT WHEN I read saw the Youtube Video on Overclocking the I7-3960x that It was best to have fans pointed down towards the motherboard.

SO My thinking is that I should take off the extra fan I put on the cooler and install in on the side blowing In or on the top blowing In! PIC BELOW OF FAN SETUP

DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE EXPERIENCE Overclocking the I7-3960x - Like I said b4, I have 15yrs Experience Repairing Computers, but I never Overclocked any of my Processors's except my first P1 build!

directionoffansincomp.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone here has a I7-3960x because it's a $1000 CPU. the 3930k is literary the same CPU with less l3 cache. check out 3930 guides on overclocking because many more people have that. honestly, all i did was raise the mutli until it forced me to increase the voltage, I back down a little and left it alone. most guides will show you the same thing but than they go into depth on how to tweek your voltages to get high results.

I don't think anyone here has a I7-3960x because it's a $1000 CPU. the 3930k is literary the same CPU with less l3 cache. check out 3930 guides on overclocking because many more people have that. honestly, all i did was raise the mutli until it forced me to increase the voltage, I back down a little and left it alone. most guides will show you the same thing but than they go into depth on how to tweek your voltages to get high results.

So I'll look up guides for the 3930K, sounds about right, since more ppl have that, there should be more info on that, and another difference is mine is Revision C2, with VT-D which makes running VMWare insanely fast.

Do you think If I just did something like 4.4, that's not so high where it should wear it out too much, but enough where I would notice a significant difference, right?

yeah going to 4.5ghz, you should see a boost in cpu intense apps. Games on the other hand with the current games out see no boost in FPS past 3.2ghz on the x79 (this is from a benchmark article I read). from what i've seen after 4.5ghz thats the point when you could start seeing some degradation over time. most high stable clocks hit 5ghz but I think to keep everything in the voltage saftey zone you're looking at 4.5-4.8ghz. This of course completely depends on your cooling solution, No way anyone is going to hit 5ghz on a air cooler.

The issue is that CPU degradation is going to happen one way or another. Degradation as a direct result from voltage increase is small., the biggest issue is heat. An i7 3770K (for the sake of argument since the 3960x doesn't have a stock heatsink) at 4.5 GHZ running at 70 degrees Celsius at full load using a hyper 212 evo is going to degrade slightly faster than a i7 running at 70 degrees at full load with the stock cooler.

However, generally speaking of course, if your temperature is closely monitored and controlled properly, you shouldn't have a whole lot of issues.

If you are really worried about the lifespan of your CPU, then you should only be worried about better cooling rather than overclocking when you are well withing a safe thermal output.

yeah going to 4.5ghz, you should see a boost in cpu intense apps. Games on the other hand with the current games out see no boost in FPS past 3.2ghz on the x79 (this is from a benchmark article I read). from what i've seen after 4.5ghz thats the point when you could start seeing some degradation over time. most high stable clocks hit 5ghz but I think to keep everything in the voltage saftey zone you're looking at 4.5-4.8ghz. This of course completely depends on your cooling solution, No way anyone is going to hit 5ghz on a air cooler.

Ya I have no interest In going to 5.0, its already really fast, But I've already seen with the cooler I have and Processor with safe temp set to 4.5, I mean If 4.5 is safe and wont degrade it much, then I think I might do that!

The issue is that CPU degradation is going to happen one way or another. Degradation as a direct result from voltage increase is small., the biggest issue is heat. An i7 3770K (for the sake of argument since the 3960x doesn't have a stock heatsink) at 4.5 GHZ running at 70 degrees Celsius at full load using a hyper 212 evo is going to degrade slightly faster than a i7 running at 70 degrees at full load with the stock cooler.

However, generally speaking of course, if your temperature is closely monitored and controlled properly, you shouldn't have a whole lot of issues.

If you are really worried about the lifespan of your CPU, then you should only be worried about better cooling rather than overclocking when you are well withing a safe thermal output.

That doesn't make any sense, how would Having a better cooler on my I7 CPU degrade faster than having a stock cooler on my I7 CPU.

That doesn't make any sense, how would Having a better cooler on my I7 CPU degrade faster than having a stock cooler on my I7 CPU.

He's saying for argument sake if you have 2 cpus at 70c than one overclocked is going to degrade faster because that is just how it it works.

I'm about to update my bios to version 1.4 that updates some cpu code, so If u don't see me back on this forum today, then that means the power went out as I was flashing it, and I've already sold my backup system.

If I cam get it to 4.5 safely and It will still last me 3-5yrs than I'm ok with that, I mean, technically It's only bein pushed when I'm running games and high power applications, the rest of the time, it'll be running at the 100x12 setting anyways, now If you guys are thinking that It will die in like 2yrs, then thats not worth it to me.

He's saying for argument sake if you have 2 cpus at 70c than one overclocked is going to degrade faster because that is just how it it works.

Only if the voltage is increased. Voltage kills CPUs faster than heat does.