OC I7-3960x C2 & ASRock X79 Extreme6

-----Current Build-----

Case - Cooler Master HAF 912

Motherboard - ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011

Processor - Intel Core i7-3960X LGA 2011 "Talk about planning, be even better once most games start utilizing all 6 Cores"

Video Card - GTX 470

Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO + Extra Fan

Power Supply - PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB - 4x2GB 1600Mhz Quad Channel

HDD - WD20EARS 2TB + WD3200YS 320GB

DVD Burner - ASUS DRW-22B1ST

I Lost my Check Card and Will Be ordering 128GB SSD Middle to End of next week, so that's why there's no SSD in the build.

My BIOS has alot of options for Overclocking, but I've always been the kind of person who didn't think the performance gain to risk was worth overclocking, but with this processor I think that's a different story!

Looking for any help that you can provide for me to OC to 4.0 to start and then to 4.5 in a week or so If there's no issues!

For anyone saying that the cooler will not be good enough, I already know that with this CPU and Cooler that being Overclocked to 4.5Ghz will have these temps! LINK TO FULL REVIEW

OC to 4.5 IDLE

idle3960at45ghz.png

OC TO 4.5 Under LOAD With Prime95

loadunderprime95at45ghz.png

When I Ran OCCT With Small Data Set "The one that generates the most heat, I got these temps, Pic Below"

occtsmalldataset24min.png

If you need any more info on my system or pics of my Bios, etc.. Just let me know!

Edited by thebellbell

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4ghz is going to be a snap.

Raise your Vcore to 1.25 and your CPU multiplier to 40 and report back with how things went.

(key note: if you system is not stable at 1.25v, try raising it a little at a time until it is stable.)

If you look at this Review, It shows that using my same motherboard and CPU, except that CPU was the C1 and mine is the newer C2, that if the multiplier went past 36 that windows was prevented from loading, Now It might not have that problem since mine is the newest C2 Revision, but take a look,

Link Here!

My Motherboard comes with this Overclocking Utility, should I use this or do it in Bios?

tuningutility.png

Ya that seemed to work, I still need to stress test some more to make sure, Another person who has my same cooler and CPU, Used a VCore of 1.356 + Multiplier of 45 and with even just 1 fan on the 212 Evo his temps under stress stayed under 70!<br><br>My main concern, Is just how much of the Life Span can I expect It to take off the CPU, if its meant for 3.3 and 3.6 With turbo boost and I set it to 4.5, but keep it at good temps, Can anyone estimate the life span, If its like 3-5yr b4 it dies, than I can see a reason to OC!<br>

overclocking by raising the voltage will decrease the life span like you said but it usually won't just up and die. you will find it harder and hard to keep a stable clock and will have to pump more voltage than before to keep the same numbers. over time you just won't be able to overclock at all. People who had their 1366 CPU oced since 2008 are now just seeing them start to die. Of course if you like to push the cpu limits constantly or go for a record you will have a dead cpu shortly. A small bump in voltage won't do any harm and in fact these 2011 cpu get to like 4.5ghz without any voltage increase. I think these chips are safe to 1.4v without any bad long term effects.

Edited by hornybluecow

First off, try to always use the BIOS, second-increasing the multiplier shouldn't be an issue, third-generally the rule of thumb is to always disable turbo boost for overclocking.

Why disable Turbo? It makes it a lot easier to OC if you just up the Turbo multipliers and it lets you limit your heat output if you're temperature constrained.

Why disable Turbo? It makes it a lot easier to OC if you just up the Turbo multipliers and it lets you limit your heat output if you're temperature constrained.

From my experience it always makes the chip run hotter, and makes the entire OC less stable. I have just always been able to hit higher OCs with turbo off.

Speaking of which I have been meaning to ask a question. I have been told by intel countless times that turbo works by taking unused cores and redirecting the power to the cores that are being used to give them a small overclock. However, even at stock with the BIOS at default I can run prime95 with every core and thread being maxed out to 100, and CPU Z tells me that the CPU is running at it's turbo frequency. If all cores and threads are being maxed out shouldn't the chip be running at it's default speed?

(P.S. I have been starting to realize how I have been wrong about as many things as I have regarding PCs. Let's just say that the guy who has been explaining things to me so far is equally wrong if you catch my drift. So I am now on a hunt to find out what is really going on with technology. I figure this should make you very happy waco ;) )

I've been repairing computers for 15yrs now, been on em since DOS and Win 3.1, but I never overclocked, except my ASUS Thunderbird with I think a Pentium 1, and back then It was because, comps were sooooooo slow, any boost was necessary. But with how much I spent on this CPU, I'm not gonna mess with it at all past 3.3 without someone with direct knowledge and explanation that the benefit outweighs the gains. I'm not tryin to piss anyone off, I just dont wanna risk my new expensive CPU!!!

Unless you run it too hot or with too much voltage it won't die in any reasonable amount of time. Doesn't it have a 3 year warranty anyway? :P