Failing hardrive

acethebear

My hard drive setup was a 60gb crucial m4 ssd that had my operating system and a few basic programs, and a refurbished 1TB Seagate Barracuda that stores media and all my other programs. My first Barracuda crashed after a year, and I got it replaced, but I lost all my data. That is why I have a refurbished one right now. Awhile back, the 1TB refurbished barracuda drive began to crash ever so often, but it wasn't anything major. It passed SeaTools' inspection and I continued to use it. Three days ago it had two major (had to restart multiple times and physically unplug and replug) crashes. The first while I was just browsing the internet, and the second when I tried to run SeaTools' long generic test. I assume since it crashed during SeaTools' long read, that it is under warranty ( Sea Gate's policy is if it goes through the test and doesn't pass, then you send it in and they send you one back to replace it. I assume that if it doesn't even make it through the test that it qualifies as well). After the second crash, I removed it and placed it in an anti static bag until I could figure out what to do. My desktop looks like a barren wasteland of broken shortcuts. My predicament is how I am supposed to keep all of the data on there. It was a pain in the butt to replace everything after my first drive crashed, and I really don't want to have to do it again with even more data (about 800gb). I could buy another drive and clone my failing one onto the new one, but that is sort of expensive. Is there any other alternatives to keeping my data in the exact format it is in now, like keeping it somewhere until I get a replacement drive from seagate, or am I basically S.O.L?

Edited by acethebear

Sorry to say you will be lucky if it will run long enough to transfer that much data, I had the exact same problem with seagate drive and as soon as it started to heat up it would shut down, if you can get another drive you may be able to clone it 100 gb at a time, let it cool and try it again. That's why I only use wd now and back up everything to an external hd.:teehee:

So if I get another drive to clone to, does it need to have the same cache size or anything? I was thinking about maybe once I get my second refurbished drive from seagate, I could put them in a raid 1 setup and have my future data protected that way. Some thoughts on my plan would be great.

lesson of the day, always backup your stuff. I have 3 external hdds full of my data (1, 1.5 and 2tb). unless my house burns down, i'm set.

once you replaced the drive the first time you should have started to backup the stuff.

Any time a drive does ANYTHING weird you should replace it. Unless my house burns down I have everything mirrored and backed up...data and OS installs.

Your only hope now is to buy another 1TB drive, copy everything you can off the dying drive, then get it replaced. Once the new one comes back set them up as a RAID 1 mirror in Windows.

So if I get another drive to clone to, does it need to have the same cache size or anything? I was thinking about maybe once I get my second refurbished drive from seagate, I could put them in a raid 1 setup and have my future data protected that way. Some thoughts on my plan would be great.

Just buy a new drive.

Your only hope now is to buy another 1TB drive, copy everything you can off the dying drive, then get it replaced. Once the new one comes back set them up as a RAID 1 mirror in Windows.

I agree, that was the solution I said I was going to take. I know you can use two different brand drives in a raid setup, but what I really want to know is if the two drives can have different cache sizes or different speeds. Right now 3 GB/s is outdated by the 6 GB/s drives and the 32mb cache by the 64mb cache. Would there be incompatibilities with using a drive like this one?