gtx680 hit 93c playing minecraft

So my son was on my pc playing minecraft and have osd set and happened to notice mt gpu was 93c. I shut it off and it immediately and temps went back to normal. my question is why and what kind of damage does that have done

well all modern cards have a thermal throttle so when it hits 96c (which is the limit) than it will clock itself down to lower the heat. I feel like maybe i was stuck in a calculation loop causing heavy load. either that or your heat-sink is bad.

Minecraft with no Vsync will easily heat up a card...turn on Vsync and your temps will drop dramatically. I wouldn't RMA it just yet...

Minecraft with no Vsync will easily heat up a card...turn on Vsync and your temps will drop dramatically. I wouldn't RMA it just yet...

Why is that? Just because it tries to load tons of frames per second than just a set 60 or whatever?

Why is that? Just because it tries to load tons of frames per second than just a set 60 or whatever?

Yup. IIRC a lot of games do the same thing if you leave them on the menu screens (with a 3D background or whatever). Starcraft 2 had a big problem with it for a while.

I just force Vsync on in my drivers to avoid the issue entirely.

I have to think that if the card can't sustain itself properly then it has a defective cooling solution. Yes it will get hot but not so dang hot that it has the potential to fry itself. Even my gtx 480's would get hot at stock under occt gpu tester but in the same right it would never go over 100c or close to its limit value of 105c. I would make sure all settings are proper, the card is still clean inside, Tim is ok, inflow of case ok and then ram the card. Could have fried the heatpipe recently.