2Gb card or 1gb?

Pec0

Yeah, that's the one thing that gets me. I really don't see how the 4870 ran it ok at all, unless there are some major unseen changes between dx9/10 and dx11. And in the photo he posted, his CPU is maxed out.

Back when playing BF2BC2, I switched from a Athlon X2 to a Phenom X4 and my FPS jumped nearly 50% with the same graphics card.

Pec0, can you run the two cards using the same settings, same test, to compare apples to apples here?

Or, maybe that new overclock of 4.0+ on the CPU isn't as stable, or is giving somekinda diminishing return...if that's even possible.

I'm thinking the game has hidden things that enable with a DX11 card that aren't there with a DX9/10 card. It's got to be something dumb like that. :lol:

Ok pec0, here are some results for you to compare to.

I am using my old phenom II x4 940 with 8gbs of DDR2 ram 800mhz with a single GTX560 non ti model card. My cpu is oc's to 3.6ghz. Your cpu is faster, i have more cores. You memory is faster ddr3, your 7850 is better than my 560. If your settings are right and the cpu can handle it, you should get better fps than me. I ran this test using your max resolution of 1440x900. BF3 Campain, operation swordbreaker (the first mission). Fraps for 90 seconds. Start the test when you can see the soldiers in the ATV, a few seconds after the music starts.

settings.png

1440 x 900

Low = 89

Med = 80

High = 66

Ultra = 47

low89.png

med80.png

high66.png

ultra47.png

@ 1920x 1080

Ultra = 34

my settings listed before = 52

Maybe this will help with getting you a baseline to compare to. Run the same test and see what you come up with. I ran a couple of the tests (low and high i think) to see if it was consistant. Just don't move Blackburn and it should be the same every time.

post-81519-0-30924500-1338868010_thumb.png

post-81519-0-73155200-1338868037_thumb.png

Yeah guys at 1440x900, I don't care what settings it's at...the 7850 should be able to handle it. Sure BF3 is demanding but it's manageable with his graphics card at his resolution (as RedFury has shown us)

Ok pec0, here are some results for you to compare to.

I am using my old phenom II x4 940 with 8gbs of DDR2 ram 800mhz with a single GTX560 non ti model card. My cpu is oc's to 3.6ghz. Your cpu is faster, i have more cores. You memory is faster ddr3, your 7850 is better than my 560. If your settings are right and the cpu can handle it, you should get better fps than me. I ran this test using your max resolution of 1440x900. BF3 Campain, operation swordbreaker (the first mission). Fraps for 90 seconds. Start the test when you can see the soldiers in the ATV, a few seconds after the music starts.

settings.png

1440 x 900

Low = 89

Med = 80

High = 66

Ultra = 47

low89.png

med80.png

high66.png

ultra47.png

@ 1920x 1080

Ultra = 34

my settings listed before = 52

Maybe this will help with getting you a baseline to compare to. Run the same test and see what you come up with. I ran a couple of the tests (low and high i think) to see if it was consistant. Just don't move Blackburn and it should be the same every time.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Had to go the the in-laws tonight, Posting this from my phone, I will test this tomorrow night hopefully if I'm not back too late. Cheers matey.

Running the same tests as above:

1440 x 900

Low = 34

Med = 33

High = 28

Ultra = 20

1440 x 900

Low = 50

Med = 47

High = 44

Ultra = 35

7850 clearly better however not groundbreaking. Can only assume the core 2 duo is the problem. The main thing that got me with BF3 was the auto detect hardware settings. I can only assume that the game has an issue detecting the 7850 and that's the reason for it setting all the settings lower than the 4870 by default.

Also I ran this:

Can you run it?

Although everything passed the minimum spec the E8500 CPU failed the recommended. Some more conclusive info that I need to upgrade my CPU to quad:

CPU

Recommended: QUAD-CORE

You Have: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your CPU does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.

RAM

Recommended: 4 GB

You Have: 8.2 GB

PASS

OS

Recommended: Windows 7 64-Bit

You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

PASS Click here for the latest Windows drivers.

Video Card

Recommended: DirectX 11 compatible with 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon HD 6950)

You Have: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

PASS Click here for the latest Video drivers.

Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card

Required You Have

Pixel Shader version 5.0 5.0

Vertex Shader version 5.0 5.0

Dedicated Video RAM 1 GB 2.1 GB

Sound Card

Recommended: Yes

You Have: ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device

PASS Click here for the latest Sound Card drivers.

Free Disk Space

Recommended: 20 GB

You Have: 378.1 GB

PASS

A couple months ago i'd have suggested a 1GB card for single monitor gaming. But a lot of games coming out recently are requiring more and more memory allotted to textures.

I'd say go 2GB. As it won't be long before my 1GB starts getting outdated.

-edit: At 1440x900... 1GB is more than enough. Missed that part, sorry. I still have my old GTS 250 and that thing plays like a beast at that resolution (my second monitor is 1440x900). Honestly at that resolution you can save a lot of money compared to 1080p.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Running the same tests as above:

1440 x 900

Low = 34

Med = 33

High = 28

Ultra = 20

1440 x 900

Low = 50

Med = 47

High = 44

Ultra = 35

7850 clearly better however not groundbreaking. Can only assume the core 2 duo is the problem. The main thing that got me with BF3 was the auto detect hardware settings. I can only assume that the game has an issue detecting the 7850 and that's the reason for it setting all the settings lower than the 4870 by default.

See this is better. It's not running worse with the 7850, it's just not running all that great. :P

The cheapest thing to do would likely be to grab a cheap s775 quad and OC it to 3.X GHz or so. That should give you a pretty good boost. If you want to spend a bit more, any newer Intel quad will absolutely fly in everything. :cheers:

See this is better. It's not running worse with the 7850, it's just not running all that great. :P

The cheapest thing to do would likely be to grab a cheap s775 quad and OC it to 3.X GHz or so. That should give you a pretty good boost. If you want to spend a bit more, any newer Intel quad will absolutely fly in everything. :cheers:

I think your right Waco, I agree it's time to get a Quad in my machine. Unfortunately one of the newer Intel quad aren't socket 775. I think the best socket I can get is a Q9650, not cheap though.