Anyone into building ar-15's?

Gr4vitas

I'm looking at doing my first AR-15 build, going with an 18 inch rifle length barrel from white oak. Still deciding on the rest.

I have owned an AR-15 as well as an HK-91 since 1980.Both are impressive and fun to shoot. I do have to give the HK the edge though being a 7.62 cal and is spot on with 300 to 400 yard shots and no scope. A very deadly and accurate piece of equipment to be certain.

You will save a bit of money by building your own. I really liked the Daniel Defense uppers so I settled with their OmegaX 9.0 with a DD front sight and a Knight's Mft folding rear sight. I got a deal from a local dealer and I upgraded to an EXO coated bolt, carrier and hammer. The lower I bought a stripped Spike's Tactical, the necessary parts for the trigger group, put in a Magpul MIAD grip, a VLTOR EMOD stock and put them together. On the upper, I replaced the stock charging handle with a BCM gunfighter and removed the stock flash hider and put a YHM muzzle brake. I really like it and it shoots great, still on iron sights and do plinking at 100 yards, but looking to get an RMR. Main thing is what you really like to put on the rifle and how it feels for you. I studied a lot of AR15 sights and went to almost all our local shops to get a feel of different rifle manufacturers and models before I made my purchase.

DSC00991.jpg

It's a 5.56. Mostly bought from local shops. I did my homework online and price differences on the parts almost evened out with shipping so I got them on our local shops. The DD upper is a flat top, and it comes with no rear/front sights when bought. The dealer I go to is an extremely nice guy to deal with if you know what you are talking about when it comes to firearms and how to safely handle them. He practically threw in the iron sights for free that would have cost me more than $200. Only the muzzle brake was purchased online, Amazon lol.

Edited by Voltes_5

I wanna get a RRA .458 SOCOM upper and probably a cheap second-hand lower. I don't see why you would want to build your own when you can get upper and lower kits and it's really easy to put them together. But I guess to each his own. ;)

Here are my two babies. Bought both of them right off the shelf.

Funny because I bought the AR because my buddy had one and we liked to play war games with them (blanks of course) and the building that I was working in at the time had a gun shop in the front half of it that was run by an ex military person like myself. I used to go help him unpack stuff during my lunch or after work and we got to be good friends. We used to take new guns to a firing range that was just a few miles down the road and test them out.

Well one day I went in and he was all excited and acting a little funny (well more than most of us ex military types can - LOL). So he goes into the back room and comes out with an HK. As soon as I picked it up I fell in love with it. So after about 20 minutes, he goes back into the back and brings out another HK and says "I thought that you might like one so I had two fo them shipped". Needless to say I took it home with me that day and still have it. My buddy was a little pissed when I showed up for war games a couple weeks later with it but oh well.

Either one of these is a sweet piece of firepower to play with.

Slap a 40 round mag in either one and you sure can rock and roll with the best of them. Only mod I have made to the HK was to add an ejection port buffer so that my brass doesn't get all prinned since I load my own ammo.

post-22767-0-17936400-1332358276_thumb.jpg

post-22767-0-31760800-1332358289_thumb.jpg