Who is poor?

Of course Im poor just look at my rig :P All jokes aside, Im not actually rich as most people here think - Just average with benefits

If you're just average with benefits and can afford a 7970 in crossfire, the average person could afford nicely a single 7970. I can say most people around here couldn't even afford to buy something like a GTX 560 TI or GTX 570. :P

Well, in fact, the last lan party I participated, I was running Skyrim better than most people with a Nvidia 9600 GT. :lol:

I think that the only one running Skyrim better than me had a Core 2 Duo with a GTX 460 and was using a 17" CRT monitor, when I was running it at 1920*1080 in a 23" LCD monitor. :lol:

Edited by XtremeDS

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm poor and completely screwed. I'm French, and I don't have a green card in the US (nor do I want one). Legally, I'm not allowed to work. I've never had a job (besides helping a couple people with their computers every now and then), so I've got absolutely no money to my name. My parents, who are the only ones allowed to work, have to pay for everything. Now I'm at the point where I'm about to move out and go to college, but I have absolutely no money. Completely dependent on my parents, financially. It's terrible.

I'm poor and completely screwed. I'm French, and I don't have a green card in the US (nor do I want one). Legally, I'm not allowed to work. I've never had a job (besides helping a couple people with their computers every now and then), so I've got absolutely no money to my name. My parents, who are the only ones allowed to work, have to pay for everything. Now I'm at the point where I'm about to move out and go to college, but I have absolutely no money. Completely dependent on my parents, financially. It's terrible.

Really? Aren't you the one thats posted up threads of "look at our new Infiniti" or "look at our new BWM" or "we're getting a 68 Charger" and just posted about a new VW Golf? Lol thats not poor. And if you don't want to become legal then don't complain about not working.

Edited by Coors

I have been hearing this for years and is true: Being poor is relative.

Even some (to not say most of them) rich people can't consider themselves rich for example.

I am poor and I know I am because I live in worse conditions than most people do around me. Most people in college do have a laptop and even more people has it in the subject that I study: Computers. Yet, I don't have a laptop and if I would have, it would probably be now a 10 year old laptop. Most people around me, drive cars that have less than 10 years and I drive one that is more than 15 years. I am not considering the fact that we own a car that is already 20 years old too. At 25 years it is considered a Classic. Don't think they're old good cars, unless you consider a good car a 1200 cc 8v with 60 hp, manual windows and without central locking. :P

However... am I really poor compared to people that don't even have a car or doesn't have a computer? No, I am not.

Actually, before this major crisis in Portugal (and Europe), my family would be considered a lower middle-class family for example. With this crisis, my father and mother lost their job and we became poor.

Edited by XtremeDS

None of us really know what true poverty is. I thank that I'm at least fortunate to have food on the table let alone money. Go talk to the guy working in south america for less than $1 a day and ask him if he's poor.

/1st world problems cool2.gif

That guy in South America could be rich in comparison to some people in Africa or maybe even to China, where a full working day (not only 8 hours but more like 12 hours) for a meal for some people. :-/

HOWEVER... I think that for example, I could consider Barack Obama poor. There are some old people related to politics (don't know the proper name) in Portugal that receive more than Obama per month. :mfp:

In the opposite, I may say that a person with the minimum salary in Portugal can barely pay the rent for a small apartment with two rooms, a bathroom, a small living room and an even smaller kitchen and then pay the gas, water and electricity. The money that would be left from the salary would be like 50 €, that is roughly $50. It is possible to live with 50 € for food if its just you... but you wouldn't feed properly. I considered that kind of apartment since I was considering at first a family of four (two adults and two kids). Unless both parents had a job, it would be simply impossible without help and have a family.

I might add, that since in Portugal there is AT LEAST 15% of people unemployed (there is more than that, maybe around 20 %), both the parents would be unemployed.

So this is a bit like how Portugal right now. That also reflects in the fact of how I am in the top 25 Enthusiast for my country in HWBot with a X2 and a 9600 GT. :lol:

Edited by XtremeDS

That guy in South America could be rich in comparison to some people in Africa or maybe even to China, where a full working day (not only 8 hours but more like 12 hours) for a meal for some people. :-/

HOWEVER... I think that for example, I could consider Barack Obama poor. There are some old people related to politics (don't know the proper name) in Portugal that receive more than Obama per month. :mfp:

In the opposite, I may say that a person with the minimum salary in Portugal can barely pay the rent for a small apartment with two rooms, a bathroom, a small living room and an even smaller kitchen and then pay the gas, water and electricity. The money that would be left from the salary would be like 50 €, that is roughly $50. It is possible to live with 50 € for food if its just you... but you wouldn't feed properly. I considered that kind of apartment since I was considering at first a family of four (two adults and two kids). Unless both parents had a job, it would be simply impossible without help and have a family.

I might add, that since in Portugal there is AT LEAST 15% of people unemployed (there is more than that, maybe around 20 %), both the parents would be unemployed.

So this is a bit like how Portugal right now. That also reflects in the fact of how I am in the top 25 Enthusiast for my country in HWBot with a X2 and a 9600 GT. :lol:

President of the United States' salary is $400,000 a year.. so I don't know what you mean by poor. lol2.gif

Really? Aren't you the one thats posted up threads of "look at our new Infiniti" or "look at our new BWM" or "we're getting a 68 Charger" and just posted about a new VW Golf? Lol thats not poor. And if you don't want to become legal then don't complain about not working.

You're getting it wrong. My parents are rich. I'm . broke. We're all legal, just not citizens. Just residents. I never said anything about infinity. The only cars I've mentioned owning was a 2002 BMW 745i, and we just got a VW GTI. The charger was just an idea, we were just looking at it and were very interested, but we didn't get it for a couple reasons.

President of the United States' salary is $400,000 a year.. so I don't know what you mean by poor. lol2.gif

I mean by poor since he earns less than someone. He is poorer than... :lol:

Since its $400,000 a year, that means about $33,333 a month. He receives 66 times more than a person with around the minimum salary (66 * 500) here in Portugal.

We have one of the lowest minimum salary in Europe, however, I think that we have one of the most expensive petrol price in Europe. Not that the petrol is really more expensive but its the taxes that they apply on them that makes it expensive. :P

I think that a gallon is about 4 liters (a bit less) and we pay now about 1.70 € per liter, which is about $1.70 per liter. The diesel is about 1.5 € now. Our public transports is nothing great too, except for train and metro in some points.

I mean by poor since he earns less than someone. He is poorer than... :lol:

Since its $400,000 a year, that means about $33,333 a month. He receives 66 times more than a person with around the minimum salary (66 * 500) here in Portugal.

We have one of the lowest minimum salary in Europe, however, I think that we have one of the most expensive petrol price in Europe. Not that the petrol is really more expensive but its the taxes that they apply on them that makes it expensive. :P

I think that a gallon is about 4 liters (a bit less) and we pay now about 1.70 € per liter, which is about $1.70 per liter. The diesel is about 1.5 € now. Our public transports is nothing great too, except for train and metro in some points.

Cool story bro. Sucks to live in Europe right now, I get it. lol2.gif

you think that's high...come to italy...€1.8 for petrol(gas) and €1.7 for diesel...and here in Naples...public transport is terrible...:)