Who is poor?

I'd have to say that I'm not poor because I still live with my parents but if I was living on my own I would probably be considered below the poverty line.

My definition of poverty is someone who cannot afford the essential necessitates required to survive.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm poor and completely screwed. I'm French, and I don't have a green card in the US (nor do I want one). Legally, I'm not allowed to work. I've never had a job (besides helping a couple people with their computers every now and then), so I've got absolutely no money to my name. My parents, who are the only ones allowed to work, have to pay for everything. Now I'm at the point where I'm about to move out and go to college, but I have absolutely no money. Completely dependent on my parents, financially. It's terrible.

Your problems sound like they are completely of your own making. :lol:

I thought you said you were Israli ? :blink:

Never said that. I may have mentioned doing community service last summer for the Israeli army though. I spent a month there, cool experience.

None of us really know what true poverty is.

Not true. I'm not currently experiencing it, but growing up homeless and independant from childhood: Even when i could work under the table I'd buy some food, steal the rest, and never had a roof over my head for 12 years.. I know true poverty. I believe I mentioned this in my initial post, or maybe it was another one. Again, I may not be living it anymore: But I know what it's like to wonder if you'll wake up because you got the short end of the parental stick. At 16, most people would be alright. At 5, it's a whole different ballpark.