[Solved]

I think I'm going to go down the 7850 route. The 7870 is a little too expensive for me though, so unless the price drops a bit with the new nvidia release ill be looking at a 7850. I really wanted to give the 7770 a shot due to the prices, but I would be running two in xfire and I need a stable machine for my wife when I'm on deployment later this year.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm going to go down the 7850 route. The 7870 is a little too expensive for me though, so unless the price drops a bit with the new nvidia release ill be looking at a 7850. I really wanted to give the 7770 a shot due to the prices, but I would be running two in xfire and I need a stable machine for my wife when I'm on deployment later this year.

good idea, if you want stable stay away from dual 7770s.

the 7870 here in melbourne is $450, so it will be over $500 in perth, so i wont be able to swap my 7770s for one.

Any idea when the 7850's with food coolers are actually coming out? All I see are gigabyte, HIS and powercolor. Want a Sapphire or MSI card but can only wait until next Friday to order at the latest.

Someone who is decent at programming oughtta write a little script or algorithm or whatever to figure out the GPU upgrade question.

Give it the necessary info such as quantity, cost, and performance (this can be a raw or indexed score based on a few games and benchmarks).

You plug in what you have, i.e. '5770 x's 2' and it will do the math for you as to what options are available as upgrades and their cost minus the sale price of the 5770's.

Obviously alot of these numbers would be ballpark figures since the market changes and drivers get updated, but it would at least let the guy know if he should be eyeing a 6xxx series setup or a 7xxx setup based on his budget, etc.

Maybe this is really hard to do... I've got zero programming experience.... but I'm sure it can be done. Anyone?

Here's to hoping that prices drop this week following the release of Kepler. It would be nice to pick up a MSI twin frozr edition of the 7870 and still stay inside my budget.

If prices dont drop Ill just grab the MSI twin frozr II 7850 and pick up another later on when the prices plummet.

The Radeon HD 6870 features a core clock frequency of 900 MHz and a GDDR5 memory frequency of 1050 MHz. It also features a 256-bit memory bus, and uses a 40 nm design. It features 1120 SPUs, 56 TAUs, and 32 ROPs.

Compare those specifications to the Radeon HD 7770, which comes with GPU core speed of 1000 MHz, and 1024 MB of GDDR5 memory set to run at 1125 MHz through a 128-bit bus. It also is made up of 640 Stream Processors, 40 Texture Address Units, and 16 Raster Operation Units.

HD 6870 is better than HD 7770

HD 6870 is better than HD 7770

The specs don't matter, the performance does. They are essentially equal in nearly everything and the 7770 is far more power efficient.

The specs don't matter, the performance does. They are essentially equal in nearly everything and the 7770 is far more power efficient.

yes, in crossfire, they are so power efficient they cause my whole computer to spontaneously draw 0 watts whilst gaming!

now thats efficient :thumbsup: