how much does 550Ti help my present config

MAX4U

i have an option of purchasing a used 550Ti for a reasonable price, presently am on msi GTX 570, i want to use the 550Ti for physX processing.

On a Sabertooth,i shall be using on a 8x slot, the other 16x slot is free for a SLI config.

some where later in time, i plan to purchase one more GTX 570 for SLI, when the single card doesn't support much of the games.

so it it possible to setup 570 sli and a 550ti in physX and is it REALLY worth.?

It's possible and you will probably see a gain in some games. If you believe the 550Ti is at a reasonable price, I don't see why not to do it. If however you plan to upgrade with another 570 in the future, you will probably be needing PSU with more wattage.

It's possible and you will probably see a gain in some games. If you believe the 550Ti is at a reasonable price, I don't see why not to do it. If however you plan to upgrade with another 570 in the future, you will probably be needing PSU with more wattage.

Yes, i shall have to upgrade for many things.. SSD, psu, GPU, even a carefully planned rig will mess up in near future

If you have the $100 bucks to burn, sure go for it. Why not put that 100 towards the second 570 though?

I have a gtx 560 and added a 9800gtx+ for physx and there is a small improvement in games that actually use physx, like batman and mirrors edge. Even with my "slow" 560 the phsyx card only adds a few frames, 3-5. If you had one just lying around then try it, but I'd hold onto that $100 and invest in SLI instead. 570s aren't THAT expensive so how long would you have to wait to save up the rest?

Concerning what Ecofriendly said, I don't totally agree, if you plan to buy an other GTX570 in the future to make a SLI setup, you won't need a new power supply, I think that your one is enough, if you don't overclock your CPU to a very high level of course...

So after posting I went back and ran some benchmarks yesterday to see what kind of improvement I really get with a physx card..........none.

Well none in game at least. Batman and Mirrors edge got no extra fps between forcing physx to the 9800 or 560. Running MSI Kombuster (furmark) the physics score was actually higher, and resulted in a higher overall score.

I'm going to re-update my drivers or something, I thought I tested this a while back and saw a gain.

Then I think I'll take my own advice and sell this 9800 on ebay to put towards another 560 for SLI. Don't mess with the phsyx card and just go with sli.

So after posting I went back and ran some benchmarks yesterday to see what kind of improvement I really get with a physx card..........none.

Well none in game at least. Batman and Mirrors edge got no extra fps between forcing physx to the 9800 or 560. Running MSI Kombuster (furmark) the physics score was actually higher, and resulted in a higher overall score.

I'm going to re-update my drivers or something, I thought I tested this a while back and saw a gain.

Then I think I'll take my own advice and sell this 9800 on ebay to put towards another 560 for SLI. Don't mess with the phsyx card and just go with sli.

i guess i shall have to go with RedFury77, keeping in mind the limitations of my current PSU, it shall definitely not have room for 3 cards, well i shall be lucky if i can perform a SLI with the current, any one having the same PSU with a sli config... i admit it will be on the edge.. but i would like to hear from any one..

Here is an article that measured power consumption of a rig running two GTX 560s in SLI: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-sli-review/14

It showed a max draw of only 449watts for the whole i7 test system with the SLI setup. Actually, this is the article that convinced me to just go with the 560 and then sli in the future.

By the way, I ran more benchmarks on my setup last night and using fluidmark, the dedicated 9800 physx card gave me an extra 5fps (went from 25 to 30). I used playclaw to see gpu usage during the tests, the 9800 never went over 48% while the 560 was at 99% nearly the whole time. Knowing it was working I went back into batman and ran that benchmark again, with High everything turned on, I went from a 27fps to 29fps. Oh what great gains!!! :glare: That's dx11 on, tess on high, physx on high, all at 1920x1080, max settings. I thought it was a bit odd that the gpu usage showed the 560 only around the 70-90% and the 9800 really low, like 10% I think. Maybe its the DX11 mess in batman? It seems like you can have good playable results but only if you choose one or the other, dx11 or physx.